OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: How should I approach this bird?  (Read 4618 times)

Offline Coop1082

• The Boss Gobbler
How should I approach this bird?
« on: April 13, 2017, 10:50:34 AM »
Stubborn bird. Doesn't gobble but a handful on the ground, maybe once or twice on the roost. Heard him on the roost this morning (in a beaver pond bottom that is practically impossible to get to close to set up near him) and the next time he gobbled was at 7:30 about 60 yards from me and he never said another word. He's been decoyed on the powerline (had some pics of him strolling through at different hours of the day), not decoyed on the powerline, and set up on in about 10 different ways and he has won every single time. While on the powerline I have had as many as 5 hens come in and stay for a while. He's never with them and he doesn't come to them. Any tips on a different way to get after this bird or any tricks you guys might have will be greatly appreciated. This has become a war now and I've gotten tunnel vision on this bird and I would very much like to give him a dirt nap!
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Re: How should I approach this bird?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 11:43:57 AM »
Birds almost never fly far to a roost. Get near the spot he's at n try to see where he's roosting or locate him at night., it can't be totally impossible or he'd not be roosting there. Once you see where he's flying up there's a good chance if it's thought there, that's where he's flying down. Set up in the area the next morning n kill him on his way out. If he flies out differently you'll see that n can try the next morning. Don't try calling him the way he doesn't want to go.
Sounds like he's w hens so maybe calling the hens or gobbler calls to aggravate him

Offline renegade19

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 11:47:39 AM »
IF he responded to my calls but would never come in, I'd move on him as many times as it took to find the place he wants to come see.  Obviously, you cant let him bust you but I've had good luck moving on birds.  Some of the guys would sit tight for hours on end anticipating that he'll eventually show up.  I'm too hyper for that.  I'd also say he might get easier as the season goes on and the hens are finishing breeding.  Either way, good luck!

PS:  I hunted a similar sounding bird off and on for 3 Illinois seasons, never did come close to killing him!   :funnyturkey:

Offline Coop1082

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 12:10:45 PM »
He has absolutley given me a tough time. My father as well. I like to think of myself as a competent turkey hunter, but my dad is the upper echelon and has the trophies to prove it.  For a bird to whoop him, it takes a tough one and this ol'boy has given us a run for our money. Keep the tips coming guys I'm taking all of the above into the memory bank to use. 15 days left in the southern Alabama season and I've got two on the ground so far this year in other places, but these last 2 weeks are going to be dedicated solely to the one bird and I have every intention of giving him a headache!
CRUSADERS

[/img]

CMBOSTC

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 12:32:52 PM »
The above advice is solid, just remember, he has to be right everytime, you just need to be right once.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 12:45:05 PM »
Try a gobbler fight if the gobbler yelps won't work. He'll gobble almost instantly if it's working but don't be surprised if his hens lead him in

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 12:54:59 PM »
I would not hunt this bird every day. I would hunt him a day or two and leave him for three. Old contrary birds are often more vulnerable in late season. I would find a way to get close to him. The closer the better. I have hunted some pretty tough birds and eventually killed most of them. It may not be this year or even next, but persistence is key. You will eventually catch him in the right mood or right place or he'll die another way. Don't over strategize, just hunt the best you know how. The biggest mistakes we make are when we out think ourselves. Some birds are just tough to kill, they are not necessarily smart they just have a personality that makes them hard to hunt. Most times they have more of a pattern than you realize, but it is hard to figure out because they are not vocal. I have found many of them have a secluded spot they go to that gives them a good vantage point and they set up shop and never move for hours. They can see well so they bust you before you get there and when you are gone they sneak back in. If you can find this spot get in early or just walk in and spook him out then set down and wait. It will take at least an hour or two for him to be back but he'll be there. I have also seen some have three or four spots they go too, find one of those and sit on it. I think one of the best strategies for this type bird is an evening hunt. Call with soft flock calls and gobbler yelps, much like fall hunting. Set close to his roost area and be patient he will drift by to check you out, but you probably won't get a gobble so keep your eye open.

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 03:50:13 PM »
Bowguy pretty much nailed the best strategies.  They are what I would have suggested.  If it's a difficult roosting area to approach. Abort your hunt for a bit and scout out the best approach in there. Even if you have to wade water.

Offline mnbirdbuster

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 03:04:17 PM »
Well I'd maybe try the conventional stuff for awhile and if it doesn't work I'd try this...The  later in the season you get the more likely he will be without hens either on roost or sometime mid-late morning? He may even give this away by gobbling more as a hint?  Maybe you and your father either do a scenario where he is farther back from roost and you between him and the bird. Either have your dad be the gobbler and you the hen or vice versa. He will still wanna breed and possibly fight off an intruder to his longtime roost who's trying to steal the last available hen around. If bird seems interested and seems like he's gonna hold up to you the hen between the gobbler and the fake(your dad), have your dad close distance and gobble every so often as he gets closer to you. May pull old boy right in cuz he can't take that other bird getting the prize? Good luck and i hope you get him

Offline Uncle Tom

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 03:41:47 PM »
Coop1082, had one similar to that few years ago...would answer calls on the roost, but fly down go opposite way every time. Never would come to a call. I found the tree he was roosting in and marked my trail in with those little illuminated thumb tacks...many of them so could find real easy. Cleared all leaves so quiet. Next morning got to tree I wanted to sit at and he was maby 20 yds from me. Sat down waited for first light...clucked maby 2 times...he answered real strong. Got up,just barely could see so dark, and started walking away from tree...left my gun standing by the tree so could see it. Walked few yards..kicking leaves...would stop few seconds....kick leaves again, ran maby five yards...put my box call up under my jacket and yelped real loud...took the call (an old Lynch that you can shake the handle and make a gobble), well, made a loud gobble, and took off running back to my tree..grabbed my gun...pulled face mask down...he comes falling from the tree and lands 10-15 yards from me. Followed him as he coming down...soon as he hits ground shot him. I think by all this noise under him, and it was a tall pine tree and he could not see the ground, he knew a hen down there and another gobbler chasin her....and down he comes. Give it a try, you never know what ole boy may do.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 05:21:51 PM »
If you are determined to get him, and can hunt a couple days in a row...

I would get as close as possible to where you think he is roosting, remain completely quiet (i.e. no calling at all), and watch where he flies down to with no disturbance... (Then leave quietly and chase another bird)

The next morning I would set up in the area he flies down to.  If he gets close but not in range, I might do a couple quiet clucks or purrs as he gets behind a tree or bush and then shut up.  I would not use decoys on such a bird.

I have become convinced that some of the older birds that have seen some hunting pressure will not go to a hen, and will always wait for the hen to come to him (thus why I would not use a decoy).

I had one such bird the last two seasons...  He could come about 80-100 yards (generally silent) and wait for that hen...  Instead of gobbling to attract the hens, he did a lot of drumming and spittin'.  I tried everything on him (gobbling, fighting purrs, walking and talking, etc.).  He sure gave me several plates of humble pie.

I would think that not gobbling would serve two purposes, not attracting hunters, and not attracting other predators (such as coyotes).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 12:39:45 AM by Marc »
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline Coop1082

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 10:26:02 PM »
I'm giving him a rest for a few days. Reason being my dad chased him again this morning with no luck, and also a buddy of mine just hit shore from the oil rigs and hunts a LOADED club. Also with my schedule (career firefighter) I work 24on/48off, but got hit with some OT coming up Wednesday. Plans are to work Tuesday and Wednesday, work off Thursday and burn a vacation day Friday and get after him heavy 4 days solid. Haven't had the chance to chase him hard, but I should have the opportunity this week/weekend. All advice has been taken into account, and if he goes down plenty of pictures to come!!
CRUSADERS

[/img]

Offline Texforce

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 12:58:07 PM »
GOOD LUCK, Coop. This is a GREAT thread !! Lots of knowledge on this Board. I am definitely following this one !!

Offline Coop1082

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 01:28:39 PM »
I agree! Lots of knowledge being passed around here. Probably the thing I love most about turkey hunting, you never stop learning! There is always someone somewhere who has tried a different approach that worked for them, and can be added to your personal arsenal. I greatly appreciate all the advice/tips that are being given!
CRUSADERS

[/img]

Offline Coop1082

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 09:25:45 PM »
Quick update from this morning fellas. HE GONE! I left him alone the entire week until Friday afternoon. Had plans to stick him out until dark. I spotted him at around 5:45 on the opposite side of the powerline. There is fairly regularly used roost tree from previous years there and I only know of once this year that he was on that side. Always in the bottom near the beaver pond as I stated, but for some reason he had swapped. Saturday morning brought silence apart from 3 hens, and I had to check out a little earlier the i had hoped for family plans. This morning though...he finally let loose. Plopped down 125 yards give or take from the area I last saw him and at at 6:05 the sky ignited. He was on fire this morning. Some subtle clucks, a gobble on the ground, and a few light yelps and his beak was in the dirt. He's not my best but Lord knows I'm proud of this one! My youngest got to experience the finished product with me as well so that was just icing on the cake!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 10:27:01 PM by Coop1082 »
CRUSADERS

[/img]