OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Considering an SA-459 but have a question about the trigger pull?

Started by Ridge Rooster, April 13, 2017, 06:30:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ridge Rooster

Is there a fix? If so what and how much?? I am considering one but the new ones that my LGS has has fairly stiff triggers. I have been using a 870 and 11-87 youth guns and installed the Timney trigger kit in them which makes them great. Doubt I would switch back to a turkey gun with a stiff trigger but I like the feel and everything else about the Weatherbys.

Thanks
Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Fullfan

I have 2 459's and both needed trigger work. I did not send mine out and pay over 100.00. Found a local smith, and was charged 53.00 each. Now both guns brake clean at 4 pounds. And both shoot very well with a Sum Toy and the Federal Heviweight #7's both will do 160-170 all day. And close to 300 with TSS #9.
Don't gobble at me...

yelpaholic

same here had a local gun smith fix mine less than 60 bucks... made it the perfect little gun...not sure why weatherby doesnt address this problem its bad to have to have a brand new gun worked on...

Ridge Rooster

Does anyone know what the smiths do to help?

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

wvnut3

I used Rob Roberts. It cost $100 we dont have any reliable gun smiths close. I got mine back in about 10 days, nice and crisp  3.5lb trigger pull and no creep. Lee

Reloader

I guess I got lucky on my 459.  It does not have a good trigger, but it's probably only 5-6lb and very comparable to just about any off the shelf shotgun trigger.  It's nowhere close to a modified 870 or 1187 trigger.  A friend told me you can simply disassemble the trigger group and polish all contact points(not rounding off anything or removing steel) for a much smoother and consistent 4.5lb or so pull.  That's what I intend to do to mine, but don't do it if you don't feel confident in doing so.

g8rvet

I am not a rifle shooter, but my 2014 model shoots fine off the shelf.  I honestly have no idea what the pull is, I know I pull the trigger and it shoots.  Never had a problem with pulling a shot, on a patterning board or on a bird.  Never even gave it a thought until reading stuff on here, but it shoots fine as is.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

yelpaholic

mine just had alot of slack in the trigger before it tightened up and went off..

FL-Boss

DrDirtNap

I had the local gunsmith do mine.  Not sure exactly what he did but it is fine now...better than my rifle triggers.  Cost me $56.

Chronos

I'll just post this for reference encase someone wants to do it themselves.

The mcarbo site sells the Mossberg SA-20 / SA-28 Trigger Spring Kit. You'll need this.

Pull the trigger/lifter assembly from the shotgun.

Hold the trigger/lifter assembly in one hand and push the pin the lifter rotates on out of the trigger assembly. It has a dumbbell shape so it takes a bit of wiggling to remove. Set lifter assembly aside.

The lifter lock is just a piece of flat steel and can be lifted off. (Left side)

Put your hand over the trigger and push the trigger pin through it's assembly from the left side.

Spring is under trigger once you lift it out. It's not under much pressure and won't go flying off.

Reassemble in the reverse order.

Fullfan

If anyone is looking for a Sa459, I know where there is one, dang near new with about 10 shells through it. 500.00
Don't gobble at me...

B Rogers

A local smith was able to get a buddy's sa-459 down to 2.2 lbs from 6.7 lbs. He said it's great now. $60 for the work. I'm taking mine down in a few weeks.

Neill_Prater

Just got mine back from the shop. Trigger pull is now 3.25 lbs. Cost me $50. Don't quite understand. Manufacturers could charge that much more for the gun and put a really good trigger in to begin with.

Oh well, just glad it could be fixed.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

bamahunter

Quote from: B Rogers on October 11, 2020, 02:13:42 PM
A local smith was able to get a buddy's sa-459 down to 2.2 lbs from 6.7 lbs. He said it's great now. $60 for the work. I'm taking mine down in a few weeks.

True story :)...  and it was absolutely worth the extra $$$