OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Considering a 20 ga O/U.....recommendations?  (Read 4997 times)

Online Candyman

Considering a 20 ga O/U.....recommendations?
« on: April 12, 2017, 09:59:21 PM »
Considering  Stevens 555, ATI Calvary or Yildiz. One better than the other?

Offline Izzyjoe

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Considering a 20 ga O/U.....recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 01:24:56 AM »
I did a lot of research a few weeks ago. I was wanting a 20 o/u myself, I wound up with a Browning citori 12ga. But I was torn between the Stevens, and a CZ drake. Both are great shotguns, and should serve you well. The reason I went with the browning is I got a great deal on it, and I think a 12ga is a little more versatile for my hunting needs.

Offline longislandloco

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 02:19:21 PM »
For an O/U never go cheap, it's the one gun type that really gives you what you pay for. Try "Shotgunworld", look at the maintenance threads on the the CZ, Yildiz, etc. and the Browning, look close at the machining of the parts, there is a big difference.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun"…..Old Moe

Offline MickT

Considering a 20 ga O/U.....recommendations?
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 09:30:13 PM »
I've got nothing but good to say for my yildiz 20 sxs. It's taken a turkey or two, ducks, doves, and squirrels. They are light- 5.6 pounds or so. I believe Briley handles service on them. You will probably be limited to semi custom chokes like Sumtoy and Trulock, not that it's that big a deal unless you like to chase #s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline varmint101

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 06:50:31 PM »
I really like my Ruger Red Label.  Points great and shoots great for me.

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 05:09:16 PM »
Depends what you want it for.  If you like the Stevens, we will probably not agree on a wingshooting gun as that is what my brother and nephew shoot and when I raise it up, I am looking at the middle of the vent rib.  I have a Winchester 101 20 gauge, and they don't like it.  If it is for wingshooting, find one that fits and points well. 

I thought about getting the CZ Mallard for turkey so I could have the double trigger.  have a buddy with one and he loves it and it does point nice for me, but I went another way.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline magnumgray

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 09:19:18 PM »
  I won a TriStar Hunter at a banquet and it is a  5 pound dream to carry .... I like the choice of chokes. Top Barrel with a turkey tube and bottom modified.   It likes any of the heavy shot  type ammo in the top barrel  and I shoot  3" lead for any thing under 30 yards in the lower. Ive shot more with the lower barrel than the top,  But when the forty yard shot is there the top barrel rolls them over.

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 04:31:25 PM »
I like my little yildiz youth 20. Light. Short. I got Sumtoy mount and chokes. Wasn’t too much $ shoots well. Dip job not so great but it patterns/shoots great. Sumtoy 562 in top shooting. TSS 9 handloads. Sumtoy 585 in bottom shooting a handload “spreader” lead 7

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 04:53:36 PM »
I like my little yildiz youth 20. Light. Short. I got Sumtoy mount and chokes. Wasn’t too much $ shoots well. Dip job not so great but it patterns/shoots great. Sumtoy 562 in top shooting. TSS 9 handloads. Sumtoy 585 in bottom shooting a handload “spreader” lead 7

Sorry. Didn’t notice how old this original post was