OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Looking for a mentor in CA

Started by nv3230, April 12, 2017, 12:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nv3230

I am a new hunter who is in his second season of turkey hunting and loving it so far. I am based out of central CA, and am looking for a mentor to help teach me some of the finer parts of turkey hunting hunting. I have a solid basic understanding of hunting (staying quiet, looking for sign, importance of scouting, etc) But I am hoping to connect with someone to help increase my woodsmanship, understanding of turkey behavior, and a more full understanding of the hunt in general. I am looking forward to connecting with some people!

Marc

I am in central CA...  (Fresno)...

Access to areas that hold birds is the toughest part about hunting here...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

nv3230

I have noticed that. I have hunted out of mariposa and north fork. It seems like maybe the habitat doesn't really sustain the birds OR they're on private land. any tricks/suggestions that have worked for you?

Marc

Mariposa has birds on private land...  Probably the highest concentration of birds in the central valley.  I have not hunted public areas there, and honestly know nothing about them.

The public areas in North fork are tough.  I spent some time scouting those areas, and know of a couple areas that have held birds...  The large area of national forest, I have yet to see or hear a turkey...

I talk to guys that deer or pig hunt public areas, and I knock on a lot of doors for private access.  I have access to two ranches right now, and recently lost a really nice ranch due to the owner dying.

Knock on doors and get access.

Are you in the Fresno area?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Nice Cole

I think you are a beginner and that is why you are asking for a physical trainer. However, I would always suggest you to go for online tutorials first.

More than the stance, and scouting part, it is your equipment that plays a major role when you hunt. Whether your bow weight is good, or whether the bow is extra heavy for you.

I would recommend you to read this guide on the best compound bows

nsselle

QuoteI think you are a beginner and that is why you are asking for a physical trainer. However, I would always suggest you to go for online tutorials first.

More than the stance, and scouting part, it is your equipment that plays a major role when you hunt. Whether your bow weight is good, or whether the bow is extra heavy for you.

Say what now?

Old Gobbler

Quote from: Nice Cole on June 05, 2017, 11:37:03 AM
I think you are a beginner and that is why you are asking for a physical trainer. However, I would always suggest you to go for online tutorials first.

:fud: bye spammer....
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Bowguy

Old gobbler is a really quality place w some very good, knowledgeable guys. If you don't find a mentor pose questions or areas of question as it comes up. You'll never really learn until you do it yourself.
A mentor can speed things up though so keep trying but remember lots of guys here started without one