OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Hunting a dust bowl ?  (Read 4030 times)

Offline ilbucksndux

Hunting a dust bowl ?
« on: April 12, 2017, 10:41:23 AM »
I have always see dust bowls and places where they dust often,but have never hunted any of these spots. Seems like a sit and wait kinda deal to me. Do you have any suggestions or strategy for hunting a dusting spot ?  Or should I treat it like any other sign I find and just use it to know turkeys are in the area.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 11:55:52 AM by ilbucksndux »
Gary Bartlow

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
Hunting a dust bowl ?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 08:35:09 PM »
I've been told a gobbler will use a dust bowl but have yet to see it. I have seen hens dusting with a strutter nearby and I have seen hens dusting alone. I've flushed hens that went up in a cloud of dust but I've never seen that when flushing a gobbler. So no I would not hunt a dust bowl, unless I had been following some field birds and knew where they dusted every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
Re: Hunting a dust bowl ?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 08:55:28 PM »
IVE SAT ON dust bowls WITH NO LUCK ...........
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline renegade19

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 11:50:41 AM »
I killed a jake one fall very near a dust bowl but it was right on the travel route to a roost.  I'd just treat it as good turkey sign and assume it indicates a flocks core area. 

Offline RemingtonRules

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 12:36:01 PM »
I have had luck early in the season hunting these areas.  Once they go to nest, they are not dragging a gobbler along with them.  Usually it is the hens dusting.  Had luck on a bird recently that was with hens by hunting the spot they were dusting. 

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 02:18:44 PM »
good indication of birds in the area, but not an assurance that the ole claw toed, bearded devil is going to show up

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 09:11:30 PM »
Dust bowls let you know you are in the right area.  Most of the places I hunt, there is tons of sandy soil and other than letting you know there are birds nearby, they are not much more than a turkey track to me.  When I see them, I think of being a likely place that birds will be later in the day, when it gets hot.  Always has been when I have seen them there, but it may be coincidence. Not like I have seen tons of birds dusting though. 

They are NOT deer scrapes or rubs that will likely be checked regularly though, IMHO. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 01:42:54 AM »
Dust bowls let you know you are in the right area.  Most of the places I hunt, there is tons of sandy soil and other than letting you know there are birds nearby, they are not much more than a turkey track to me.  When I see them, I think of being a likely place that birds will be later in the day, when it gets hot.  Always has been when I have seen them there, but it may be coincidence. Not like I have seen tons of birds dusting though. 

They are NOT deer scrapes or rubs that will likely be checked regularly though, IMHO.
  x2

Offline Anobody

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 10:49:38 PM »
I've called or killed 7 gobblers off The same dust bowl.  over The last 5 years almost every morning hunt the girls fly down and head almost straight to these bowls. Guess who follows....... 

Any time I find a bowl I mark it and see if there is good roosting near. If you have both you have a dynamite spot
Please come follow my paracord creations on facebook as well.   On point paracord
https://www.facebook.com/100037570381935/posts/100617547867258?s=100037570381935&sfns=mo