OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: I need a better facemask  (Read 22168 times)

Offline Life of Riley

I need a better facemask
« on: April 10, 2017, 11:13:22 PM »
After doing some turkey watching this weekend and trying to mouth call, I realized it's time for a new facemask. The one I bought at Cabelas last year fits snug around my face and makes it difficult to use a diaphragm call and also gets wet and uncomfortable due to breathing condensation. What is your favorite mask?

Offline beakbuster10

• The Boss Gobbler
I need a better facemask
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 02:22:14 AM »
Sitka mesh face mask. It fits, the mesh is soft, has an opening for the mouth and actually stays where you want it without those long strands elastic or being so tight you can't breathe. Best 25 bucks you'll ever spend on a mask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Re: I need a better facemask
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 08:11:39 AM »
Get a spandoflage one. You can cut out eye n mouth holes

Offline RiverRoost

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 08:21:25 AM »
The ol Tom half buff or performance half mask. It's extremely thin and breathable and can be snatched down around your neck in no time if you need to up and move. Mouth calls sound fine coming through it

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-OLT3170

Of course macks is a little high on price.

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 08:55:03 AM »
The ol Tom half buff or performance half mask. It's extremely thin and breathable and can be snatched down around your neck in no time if you need to up and move. Mouth calls sound fine coming through it

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-OLT3170

Of course macks is a little high on price.

this is also my pick. on cool mornings it keeps your face warm and on muggy days it breathes well.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 11:22:04 AM »
Only thing from under armour I ever like i have a nice face mask from them
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline Ranman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 10:48:48 AM »
I made one out of a quick dry camo jersey type shirt. I had my mom sew a piece of elastic in the top. I drew out the eyes with chalk, and put a slit for mouth. Then she cut out the eyes and mouth, and stitched around the cuts to keep it from unraveling. Custom fit, and comfortable. Not to mention inexpensive. One shirt can make two of them. Will post pics later.

Offline ilbucksndux

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 11:30:34 AM »
The best I have found was a mesh one I believe it was a Turkey Thugs brand 1/2 or maybe 3/4 mask that I got at Walmart. Its cool and comfortable. I used to have a couple cotton full face masks that were nice too but I had both those till they fell apart.   
Gary Bartlow

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 12:24:08 PM »
Simple, cheap, works great. This is the mask I've been using for 30+ years. The wire forms around your eyes and nose and elastic keeps it pulled tight so you can always see. Keep it around your neck while walking. Pulls up quickly and is light and cool.

https://www.quakerboy.com/product/bandito-elite/

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 12:43:33 PM »
I like the simple and cheap H.S.Strut 3/4 mesh mask...I have used these for years after having the same issues with a bunch of different ones like your having.

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 08:59:58 PM »
I guess I hate them all. I've never found one I liked, most of the time I use a boonie hat with a built in mask that doesn't fit tight. I can deal with it pretty good. I've used as ASAT leafy head net this year and like it so far. I still prefer the face mask built into the boonie hat. It's simple to just roll it up when not needed and it pulls down in place when needed

Offline eddie234

• Longbeard
I need a better facemask
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 09:15:31 PM »
I have a 3/4 face mask from primos, it has the eyes and mouth cut out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 02:19:38 PM »
facepaint

Offline Life of Riley

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 12:39:42 AM »
I like the simple and cheap H.S.Strut 3/4 mesh mask...I have used these for years after having the same issues with a bunch of different ones like your having.

I ordered this one from midwest turkey supply. Worked great this morning, a lot easier to work a mouth call when your mask isn't clinging to your face!

Offline Lucky_Strutter

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 05:52:27 PM »
I use a UA 3/4 mesh mask, really nice mask, very breathable and has a bendable nose wire and bungee draw string in the back.
The Great White Spur Hunter