turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Breaking in a call

Started by compton30, April 10, 2017, 04:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

compton30

I've never had to "break in" a mouth call I've purchased from a custom call maker. Especially the Gooserbat calls. But I've found that some of the calls I've made don't sound good at all but do sound a little better after some use. I currently only have .004 red and .003 green latex at the moment so that's all I've worked with and those calls from the selling folks were over proph. Anyone else have this happen? Just wondering why it happens like that

saverx

All I make is .003 over proph and if I make it correctly, it's good right out of the gate. If its a bad call I can also tell right away. I do think my ears can get fatigued if I call for a long period of time and then nothing sounds right. Possibly that is what is happening.

compton30

Quote from: saverx on April 10, 2017, 04:27:34 PM
All I make is .003 over proph and if I make it correctly, it's good right out of the gate. If its a bad call I can also tell right away. I do think my ears can get fatigued if I call for a long period of time and then nothing sounds right. Possibly that is what is happening.

Maybe you're right about the ear fatigue. I can definitely tell when it's "good" (my novice attempt) or bad. I was just wondering because I've only used thicker material but it stands to reason that if a call is gonna run it'll run right off the bat

perrytrails

I notice some of mine slightly changed after running them for awhile, when new. Just slightly.

They do seem to improve

Bwk

Billy Yargas gave a talk at Gamemasters in Quincy. Il a couple of years ago. I was just starting to build then and ask him some questions after. He was super helpful. But the thing I remember most was he said if you make a call and its not quite right, put it away for a week, a month , 6months or a year or whatever. You might get it out sometime during that time and it will be the best one you ever ran! So if you make one that looks right but not quite there, hang on to it!!

perrytrails