OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: wood question for call makers.  (Read 2128 times)

Offline adkmountainken

wood question for call makers.
« on: April 10, 2017, 01:35:04 PM »
about 6 years ago we had a lot of wind damage in my area. I own 5 acres on top of my favorite mountain. on my little piece of heaven 2 HUGE cherry trees got up rooted and knocked down. 1 is still leaning with half not touching the ground, could this be used to have someone make me a call from the wood of my own land? also just last week had another big round of wind damage this time took down some young but good sized beech, can this be used?

Offline mastevt

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Find me on face book, Scott's Custom Turkey Calls
Re: wood question for call makers.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 01:54:56 PM »
To answer both your questions with one answer, Yes.  Cherry is one of my favorite woods to make calls out of.  Be it pot calls, deer grunter, crow, or owl calls.  It's an ideal wood, and turns easily.
The wood has to be cut and dried.  Calls made out of wet wood crack and split, so once its cut down, it still has to go thru a drying process.  Kiln drying is quicker, where air drying will take quite some time.  But either case, it has to be done.  Hope this answers your questions.

Offline MickT

wood question for call makers.
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 02:24:40 PM »
Don't count your chickens before they hatch, though. Wind shook timber will often have internal stress and damage that may not be apparent until after it has been milled.

All you can do really is start cutting to find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline New Yorker

Re: wood question for call makers.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 01:07:24 PM »
Cherry is a staple wood used in both boxes and pot calls with glass sound boards. Beech is not a good tone wood at all. Some call makers will say its great, then you play their call and learn the hard way for yourself. There's a difference between sounding great and sounds something like a turkey. If I was you,  I would pick out a call maker and speak to them about what you specifically want.