turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

choke

Started by btiller13, February 16, 2015, 11:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btiller13

Can someone tell me what choke tubes they are using on the versa max and what patterns there getting?

Ihuntoldschool

Okay, I shoot the Versamax with Winchester Longbeard #6 shot, 3.5 inch. A quality shell is more important than the brand of choke in my opinion. Try any turkey choke in the 665-670 range with the Longbeards and you will be good. The Remington stock choke at .675 is also good. I don't count pellet holes or draw 10 inch circles or anything, not that there is anything wrong with that. I eyeball a pattern and look at the density while checking for even coverage without any gaps. The overall #'s are less important to me.   POI/POA is the most important thing, along with a quality shell, and a turkey choke.

Assault

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on February 17, 2015, 01:42:09 AM
Okay, I shoot the Versamax with Winchester Longbeard #6 shot, 3.5 inch. A quality shell is more important than the brand of choke in my opinion. Try any turkey choke in the 665-670 range with the Longbeards and you will be good. The Remington stock choke at .675 is also good. I don't count pellet holes or draw 10 inch circles or anything, not that there is anything wrong with that. I eyeball a pattern and look at the density while checking for even coverage without any gaps. The overall #'s are less important to me.   POI/POA is the most important thing, along with a quality shell, and a turkey choke.
i also shoot a VERSAMAX.... I'm shooting a HEVI-13 choke with 3" magnum blend.... Was using 3.5" magnum blend but was blowing the pattern out at 45 yards.... Backed down to a 3", yea, it's fewer pellets but better density.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allaboutshooting

Quote from: btiller13 on February 16, 2015, 11:57:15 PM
Can someone tell me what choke tubes they are using on the versa max and what patterns there getting?
First of all welcome to OG. We're glad you're here and look forward to hearing more from you.

Congratulations on your Versa Max. It's a fine shotgun.

The choke that is getting the most use from my readers in that gun is the JEB's. It keeps gaining in popularity and everyone has been very happy with its performance.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Catfishlee

Did you find something that works well in the Versa?  I have tried the indian creek choke and it didn't pattern better than factory.