OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Crawling while hunting - Please Share Your Stories  (Read 3885 times)

Offline thunderbirder

Crawling while hunting - Please Share Your Stories
« on: April 09, 2017, 04:22:40 PM »
Hi all, Turkey hunting novice here.
I would really appreciate it if you could share your personal stories surrounding the moment it was necessary for you to crawl during your turkey hunt. I'm trying to get an idea of when it would be appropriate to do so.
Thanks, Al

Offline Tomfoolery

Re: Crawling while hunting - Please Share Your Stories
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 07:03:47 PM »
Sid it once and got covered in ticks. I hate ticks

Offline Player

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 07:32:26 PM »
Between the wet grass from dew, the ticks, the snakes, and arthritis I try not to crawl any more than I have to.

Offline kjnengr

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 11:16:26 PM »
I'm not afraid to crawl but wouldn't do it at a place like Texas with rocks and prickly things everywhere.

My crawling story came from a time I was chasing a couple birds in a field. A buddy and I were set up in the tree line but could get the birds to completely commit. They hung up in a shallow draw in the middle of the field. We had to crawl to keep from being seen and repositioned about 100 yards from our original spot. We ended up pulling a double on those birds after a tough trip. It has created a long lasting memory for sure.

Offline thunderbirder

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 11:48:38 PM »
Wow! I can really picture that. I could only imagine the adrenaline rush. Thanks for sharing!
Al

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 08:14:21 AM »
On a morning with gail force winds a buddy and I had excepted were weren't going to hear a thing after trying our best to 9am, on our walk back to the truck we spot a big Tom strutting for a single hen but they are on a knob in the middle of a field way out there, we called be he couldn't hear it and they really weren't going any direction just staying right on top. The only way to them was a tractor road that had a small little bank that wrapped out and around the backside of the knob but the bank was maybe 2ft high so we had to crawl on our hands and knees for most of the 250yds to loop around the backside and then use an old hey bail between us and the birds to belly crawl on the side of the hill just under the rise from them. a few calls got him to poke his head up high enough and my buddy to dump him at 29yds

Not the typical hunt I'd want to do everytime but we adapted and felt like we earned the bird, knees and hands got pretty muddy and the bird was a fatty I believe at 23+ with a fat rope and curved spurs.

I've also called birds in and had them hang up where I just couldnt get a shot and had to crawled just a few yards to get a better angle behind a stone wall or log.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 08:19:50 AM »
I would not suggest crawling around in the woods during turkey season people are shot every year while sitting still  adding movement will increase your chances of being shot.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 12:03:22 PM »
As mentioned, it depends where you are and the terrain...

While moving around on any property, I will walk bent over or low to keep my head below the sky-line.  I am always amazed at how many hunters will walk the top of a ridge and sky-line themselves, being extremely easy to spot.

Walk below the ridge line, try and follow tree lines or brush lines.  I move as fast as possible without rushing, and I look at the noise factor of what I am walking through as well  (i.e. I will avoid patchy areas of leaves or twigs)...

That being said, if I have birds hung up, or moving below a knoll or ridge, or I can tell that they are following some terrain that will prevent them from coming to me (such as a draw or a gully) I might try and crawl to them or to position to shoot them... 

If they pop over the top, or give me some indication that they are going to, I freeze and have no problem shooting prone.  If they sound like they are moving off, I might make light clucks and purrs as I crawl towards them (although this can be risky, cause you are pin-pointing your location to the birds).

In general, I hate crawling, and only do so for birds that are close and probably will not come those last few steps, or for birds that are blocked by some sort of terrain that will pass in good range without presenting a shot (generally below me).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 05:26:49 PM »
Spent 5 hours on my stomach in a field once. It was personal and he didn't live to tell about it. No decoy or fan and by the time I killed him he had a half dozen or so hens. He was the hardest field bird I ever killed.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Ericbrooks

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 08:31:04 PM »
I've crawled many, many times.
It is a vital part of "run and gun" hunting!
When it comes to turkeys I find it really hard to sit patiently and wait on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mikejd

• Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 09:25:55 PM »
I've crawled many, many times.
It is a vital part of "run and gun" hunting!
When it comes to turkeys I find it really hard to sit patiently and wait on them

Im with you. I have had to crawl so many times I cant remember. I one time crawled through about 200yds of cow manure. When I got to the woodline i had corn in my shirt pockets. Thats recycled corn. I did get that bird by the way. walked out into an open field and right into a flock. Had to crawl to cover a few hundred yard away. I love when that happens.

Offline Hootin-N-Hammer

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 10:31:11 PM »
I actually found myself crawling last weekend. Me and a buddy had set up on a bird just after sunrise but as soon as he hit the ground he went the other way. We took off after him trying to cut him off but as soon as we got about 150 yards down a road two gobblers hammered from right where we just came from. We ran back towards the birds and stopped at a bend in the road. Yelped once and they cut us off. We immediately hit the ground and crawled to see around the corner. They were about 30 yards and running dead at us. My budddy dropped one but I couldn't get a shot without shooting a little too close to my bud. Still was a heart pounding hunt ending 30 minutes after sunrise.

Offline WNCTracker

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 11:28:56 PM »
Whenever I need to get from A to B to be setup in the best position without spooking the bird I'm after.   

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 07:18:30 AM »
The only time I crawl is when there is no cover available to move without crawling.

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 08:35:04 PM »
Used to hunt a property with very hilly top fields, and were terraced all over too.... This made for many opportunities to sneak birds. The most memorable was when my dad and I were crossing a field and saw two strutters immediately over the top of the next rise. We got in the bottom of the dip hiding as best we could in the terrace to try and get them to poke over the hill.... I had my .410 trying for my gauge slam but the birds wouldn't budge. My dad gave me his twelve and I belly crawled to the edge of the small hill and they still were strutting in the same spot... Needless to say, it worked. I went home with a bird that day. Just not with my .410, still need a bird with my .410 just don't have the fruitful private property anymore with nearly unlimited choices of gobblers. Crawling makes sense in many applications, but like many have said, is probably something I'd not do on public land, there's just too many idiots out there.