OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: rain and thunderstorms- stay home or go?  (Read 7720 times)

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Re: rain and thunderstorms- stay home or go?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 07:48:18 AM »
If I had off I'd prob try n go. Thunder very often gets em gobbling. I'd stay close n the second it ended I'd be in. Light rain I'd go too, not in a downpour. Again I'd wait til it finished.
Now if I could work n the weather wasn't cooperating as in this morn, I'd work n take off tomo morn

Offline nsselle

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 08:13:24 AM »
GO, I killed a silent gobbler the day after WI opener in a downpour and thunder like crazy.  Don't think he was roosted too far away as he was dead by 630am.  A day in the woods is better than work, rain or shine.

Offline Strutr

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 08:38:28 AM »
You can't kill one from your couch!   :funnyturkey:

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2017, 08:00:28 AM »
I've had some really good hunts hunting in light rain. Imo a bad day hunting beats a good day at work and your not going to fill your tag sitting at home. Like others said severe weather a different story....

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2017, 07:50:54 PM »
I killed a nice 23.5 lb 10" beard with 1 1/4 spurs yesterday morning in a steady rain and my  buddy killed another. So we killed two birds on a day most people stayed home.....so guess what my feelings are

Offline thunderbirder

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2017, 07:27:03 PM »
Rain yes, thunder wait in car.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2017, 05:40:21 PM »
Depends on the rain: cold and windy probably stay home especially later in the season. Warm weather rain I will frequently go. My reasoning is I hunt 30 plus days and get very tired and worn down. Why risk geting sick? I can always kill a turkey in nice weather unless I am targeting an old Tom. Plus I enjoy hunting in nice weather and in the mid East the weather is nice more often than not.

Now on a guided hunt I will hunt no matter what the weather.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline coyote1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2017, 04:14:31 PM »
If its just rain definitely go. I killed my bird this year in a downpour and 35 degrees.

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2017, 10:14:49 AM »
Are you hunting for joy and you enjoy hunting in rain or if in high winds, then by all means go.  I hunt to kill when when I go but I only go when I can experience pleasure during the hunt and a wet turkey gives me no pleasure.  A wet me is even less pleasant.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline Tomcat655

• Hang in there..at least till he's dead
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2017, 09:00:29 AM »
Always go.  I am 90 % success rate on rain/stormy days and the other 10% is its nit because I didn't see them.  They are out there.  They feel they cant see or hear good in the woods in a rain/storm so they hit the fields a great deal in south Mississippi.  The only double beard I ever killed was in a sideways rain in a hay field.  He came a running to a strutter decoy I was waving.  It was so fun.  I was wet to the bone but you gotta pay to play.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2017, 10:01:24 PM »
Are you hunting for joy and you enjoy hunting in rain or if in high winds, then by all means go.  I hunt to kill when when I go but I only go when I can experience pleasure during the hunt and a wet turkey gives me no pleasure.  A wet me is even less pleasant.

I agree wet turkey is not fun. Smelly matted feathers and I hate to see pictures of wet turkeys. But it is true that come a steady rain you will find the turkeys in the field. Good information to have if the season is slow or coming to an end.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2017, 06:07:32 PM »
They will come out after a rain and once preened often present a wonderful experience.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline shaman

• Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2017, 11:39:43 AM »
Until it fell over a couple years ago, my ace #1 superspot to hunt gobblers was a dead oak tree that had been struck by lightning 20 years previously.  It finally rotted out and fell over.  It had the remnants of 100+ year old fence attached to it.  You bet I was careful about staying away from that spot when there was even a hint of thunder. 

However, I've got an easy refuge less than 300 yards away, my luxury box deer blind is just at the end of the pasture.  I'll hunt the "Honey Hole" until the rain is set to start and then beat it to the blind and hole up there.  I've taken horizontal rain, and 40MPH wind in that blind with the windows open

I've taken several gobblers from that blind, all of them during mornings that I'd have stayed home otherwise. Even if I'm facing a real toad-strangler, I'll run out to that blind and hang out, and throw a few calls in between the squalls.   
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Offline SFCSNOW

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2018, 02:55:46 PM »
Rarely use a ground blind but IF I hunt in the rain, it's in a blind on a field edge or power line edge. 

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2018, 11:37:14 AM »
All three of these birds were killed in absolute downpours.  All taken on field edges and all with hens.  The top pic with my old man and his bird was unfortunately the only one I was dry in as I set up the blind for him the night before when I roosted the monster.  Figured his 89 year old butt would appreciate it.  Lol. Killed both my birds with my wet back-and everything else against a tree.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.