OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Mill marks on Leopardwood?  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Disney

• Poor old boy couldn't resist a Timber Tune cluck.
Mill marks on Leopardwood?
« on: April 08, 2017, 06:58:38 PM »
I've had several issues with this Leopardwood pot when I received it. Now I'm trying to get rid of what looks like mill marks to me. They occur in three places  several in a series. Or are these common markings? I've sanded for hours by hand. Should I attach it to a drill? I did that in the beginning and it created a sawdust friction-like glaze. The wood is like formica. No problems with the bottom
Maker of Timber Tune Custom made pot calls. Fine domestic and beautiful exotic wood.
timbertunes126@gmail.com

Offline Disney

Re: Mill marks on Leopardwood?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 07:01:09 PM »
I dont think there are any issues with the bottom.
Maker of Timber Tune Custom made pot calls. Fine domestic and beautiful exotic wood.
timbertunes126@gmail.com

Offline Longbeardfever4ever

• Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 09:11:17 AM »
Looks like grain tear out to me...it is caused by not sharp enough tools followed by not enough sanding.  You would need a higher speed (not too high as it will heat up) with something like 80-100 grit to take it out.
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

Offline Disney

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 04:22:28 PM »
Thankyou. When I first started this, I tried 80 grit but was told never, ever use grit that coarse. I don't think the person understood what I was going through with it. It came from Shipley's that way. It's really smooth but I think I have to go deeper to get rid of it, which 80 or 100 grit would do. You backed up my instincts. I have it on hold now as I am working on domestic wood pots for special people. Thanks
timbertunes126@gmail.com