Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

My season of misery continues

Started by RutnNStrutn, April 07, 2017, 11:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

First, I'm rehabbing from shoulder surgery due to an on the job injury. So I've been having to hang around home for physical therapy 3 days a week.
Second, I didn't get drawn for a hunt in my state for the 3rd time in 4 years. >:( 
Third, I went to my turkey lease in SC only to find some a-hole deer hunter had 2 feeders running on it so he could hog hunt. >:( That left the property unhuntable. >:( So I had to disconnect and tape up his feeders. ::)
Fourth, my planned hunt in Georgia fell through for the 3rd year in a row. >:(
But now, I hope, things are beginning to look up.
Tomorrow I'm headed back up to SC to give it a whirl again. By now 10 days will have elapsed since the corn was gone, so the property will be legal to hunt. The season will be 3 weeks old, so hopefully some hens are hitting the nests by now.
Then at the end of the month, I'm headed to Idaho with our very own Hayudog for a week of chasing Merriams and hybrids.
I'll do my damndest to score for the team, cause those 2 hunts will likely be it for the season. I'd hate to have to kick myself off of the team for not contributing. :lol: Wish me luck guys!!!

Deputy 14

Keep after it, you know what to do, it'll happen.

suburbhunter

Good Luck!!! You still have a lot of hunting left.  :icon_thumright:  :anim_25:

TrackeySauresRex

YOU CAN DOooooooooo IT! Sending positive vibes your way JimBo.  :anim_25:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Hayudog

Looking forward to Idaho Rut. It will be good times for sure. ????????

Dr Juice

RutnNStrutn

Thanks guys, I'm trying!!! :icon_thumright:
Been decent gobbling so far, and I've been seeing birds every day. I haven't scored yet, but hopefully it will happen. :OGani:

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 11, 2017, 03:40:17 PM
Thanks guys, I'm trying!!! :icon_thumright:
Been decent gobbling so far, and I've been seeing birds every day. I haven't scored yet, but hopefully it will happen. :OGani:

Smash a long beard Jim!
:anim_25:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Twowithone

Don't worry a Gobbler is gonna slip up. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

RutnNStrutn

Worst day yet. Lousy roost gobbling and did not see a single bird. Headed back out in the AM. :OGani:

RutnNStrutn

Close but no cigar. Had 2 gobbling on the roost. I got as close as I could but they were on neighboring property. Once they hit the ground, I called to them and they answered. They were coming hard and gobbling up a storm. I only called now and again when it sounded like they were veering off course. They were shock gobbling to everything, owls, crows, mourning doves, song birds, a plane flying overhead. :gobble: :gobble: :gobble: I wished they would shut up before some nosey hen found them.
They kept on gobbling and closed the gap to about 150 yards. I started to get excited and then it happened. They shut up, no more gobbles and I sat there for an hour listening. Nothing. Hens intercepted them. >:( >:( >:(
Oh well, what can you do? Have I mentioned that I hate hens?  >:(

RutnNStrutn

This has been a very disappointing spring for me. Bad luck, and not much hunting time due to rehab from shoulder surgery and physical therapy. Things were looking up when I got an invite for the last weekend in FLA up to a friend's camp. Tons of turkeys but most of them were hens which equals another birdless weekend. So after 2 trips to SC, and 1 here in FLA, I'm still not on the scoreboard. 1 more trip to go, with Hayudog out to Idaho. Hopefully the turks will cooperate for us like they did last year for him. Otherwise, I could go scoreless for the first time in a couple of decades.  :(

Mountainburd

Hang in there Rut.  Everyone has seasons like that.  It makes you appreciate the good ones.  Good luck in Idaho.

RutnNStrutn

Thanks brother, I'm looking forward to breaking the ice in Idaho!! :icon_thumright: :fud: :turkey: :funnyturkey:

RutnNStrutn

Well boys, I can't catch a break this season. My last chance shot on my Idaho trip just took a turn for the worst. It's supposed to snow tomorrow through Tuesday. I get there on Saturday and leave Friday morning. So we might get 2 days of decent weather.  Just my luck.