OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Crazy birds  (Read 5268 times)

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Crazy birds
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 04:46:45 PM »
Thanks everyone. I limited out in ms with 3 weeks left. I have a couple of places in louisiana I can hunt. Not as many birds but aint no way I can completely quit with so much season left. May call a few for a couple of my friends.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2017, 06:08:17 PM »
Congrats!!  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

I can almost see the thought bubble over your head: One of us is going to die out here...

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2017, 06:48:50 PM »
Congrats!!  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

I can almost see the thought bubble over your head: One of us is going to die out here...

Thank you sir. I was determined to kill that bird and when I did , man I felt on top of the world beating a bird like him. Im sad because honestly I dont have anything to  look forward to now. Every night before the hunt I was putting together a plan. Now im just gonna have to find something to watch on tv.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2017, 09:13:09 PM »
Congrats on a well-earned bird.  Two other things I would try, that probably would not work...

I would try "walkin' & talkin'" parallel and maybe slightly away from him...  I would walk, using soft clucks and low yelps, and make him think that the bird will leave him if he does not approach.

This has worked for me, with birds that are not henned up, but that are hung up...

If that did not work, I would get as close as possible to him and try gobbling at him, followed by some aggressive hen calling.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline Rio Fan

• Longbeard
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 09:39:40 PM »
Congrats!! You've had an awesome spring so far. I hope you get a chance to whack one in Louisiana.

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2017, 08:31:21 AM »
Congrats!! You've had an awesome spring so far. I hope you get a chance to whack one in Louisiana.

Thank you and best of luck to you this spring.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2017, 08:32:52 AM »
Congrats on a well-earned bird.  Two other things I would try, that probably would not work...

I would try "walkin' & talkin'" parallel and maybe slightly away from him...  I would walk, using soft clucks and low yelps, and make him think that the bird will leave him if he does not approach.

This has worked for me, with birds that are not henned up, but that are hung up...

If that did not work, I would get as close as possible to him and try gobbling at him, followed by some aggressive hen calling.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I had already tried both of those to no avail. He was just a tough sucker.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2017, 08:59:12 PM »
Way to go Spit.   Those feel the best.  We got one doing that to us this year and there has been someone from my group on him near every day.  They have seen him twice, but he is random. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline mikejd

• Double Beard
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2017, 09:32:01 PM »
I live for hunts like that. If I end up with tag soup but had a hunt or 2 like that my season is satisfied.

Congrats on getting him.

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2017, 02:25:12 PM »
Bet you $10 if you go in there now you hear him gobbling again, only to find out the one you killed was a 2 yr old that was pushing his limits
satellite gobbler