OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Crazy birds  (Read 5267 times)

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
Crazy birds
« on: April 07, 2017, 07:04:49 AM »
I been hunting a bird and he is giving me the blues. I have tried every tatic that is known and absolutely nothing works. The situation is i can get him to gobble at my every call , but he will not gobble on his own when I start working him. I have poured the calling to him and he chokes gobbling but never comes in. I have sat completely silent for 45 minutes waiting on him to slip in and not hear a peep . Make a soft call and he gobbles. Finally he gets tired of talking and melts away. I have gobbled at him , i have walked away calling and slip back to my original spot , i have used fighting purrs , i have used multiple calls together to sound like several hens, i have been loud , aggressive , soft ,passive , scratched leaves and just about anything you can imagine with the same result. I am beggining to think this bird is un killable. Any suggestions as he is really taxing my nerves.  I am no rookie and i have killed tough birds , but i dont know about this one. Dont say find a different bird , i am sticking with this one. Anyone have any tatic that i havent tried. Thanks
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: Crazy birds
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 08:21:28 AM »
I hear ya on sticking after a frustrating bird, its usually a point of pride thing for me. I always convince myself that if the bird is outsmarting me day after day that he must have velociraptor size hooks and a beard as wide as a broom.

Are you encountering this bird in the same strut zone or roost site. Can you beat him into his favorite spot or get in real tight to him on the limb?
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 08:27:45 AM »
Nope , cant even pattern him. He roost in the same general area but there is really nothing he does a few days in a row. He just seems to wander aimlessly
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”

Offline dejake

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 08:33:40 AM »
are you setting up in the same general area?  If so, I would try moving to a different spot that makes no sense to YOU.

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 09:02:38 AM »
Nope , cant even pattern him. He roost in the same general area but there is really nothing he does a few days in a row. He just seems to wander aimlessly

Got yourself a turkey pickle

Really only one thing to do....... Turkey Umbrella and CHARGE!!!  :funnyturkey:
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 09:22:39 AM »
Only way to kill a bird like that is with persistence.   I'd stay with him and spot hop every day.  Don't get crazy with the calling but don't be overly shy either.   He will wake up one morning feeling a little different and that's what will get him killed.  Then you will be asking yourself if that was the same turkey that had been giving you fits.   You will probably go back again just to make sure.   And if your anything like me you won't be satisfied until you go and don't hear him.  Then you will be proud and smiling but also a tad sad that it's finally over, the sad part usually only lasts until you hear another gobble!    Good luck and be sure and post a picture.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 11:53:12 AM »
Only way to kill a bird like that is with persistence.   I'd stay with him and spot hop every day.  Don't get crazy with the calling but don't be overly shy either.   He will wake up one morning feeling a little different and that's what will get him killed.  Then you will be asking yourself if that was the same turkey that had been giving you fits.   You will probably go back again just to make sure.   And if your anything like me you won't be satisfied until you go and don't hear him.  Then you will be proud and smiling but also a tad sad that it's finally over, the sad part usually only lasts until you hear another gobble!    Good luck and be sure and post a picture.

^^^ THIS! Good luck!!

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 11:53:41 AM »
Thanks guys. Wouldnt you know , after posting this this morning , I pulled the trigger on him at 10 am. I earned this bird. Can you believe he was only a 2 year old. Story and pics coming in general forum.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 12:02:46 PM »
Cool, congrats!!!    And yes I would believe it was a two year old.  Seen it many times.  To scared to come in and to crazy not to gobble his fool head off.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

CMBOSTC

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 12:57:20 PM »
Thanks guys. Wouldnt you know , after posting this this morning , I pulled the trigger on him at 10 am. I earned this bird. Can you believe he was only a 2 year old. Story and pics coming in general forum.

How did you get him?

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 01:50:56 PM »

Congrats! Want to hear the story on how you killed him, I dealt with a bird like this for 4 years before I finally killed him.

MK M GOBL

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 02:10:01 PM »
It took 5 different set ups and 4 hours. On the last move I was able to get under a rolling finger ridge and get in tight. I was so close that I could hear the breath in the gobble. I then hammered him hard for 3 or 4 minutes without pause and he was gobbling so hard he was choking. I then moved forward on my hands and knees 30 yards leaving all my calls behind. 45 minutes I heard him on the other side of the ridge walking ever so slow. I never heard him drum once but I saw his fan. He periscoped his head up for a quick look and he was done at 35 yards. Man I hadnt been head to head with a bird like that in a very long time. I have had some tough ones but this one ranks up there. It is bitter sweet to know I wont hear him again. Lord I would hate to know if he lived another year how tough he would have really been. Maybe unkillable for me. Someone else may could have killed him though. It also took me 10 days , 7 of them consecutive.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”

Offline KYHeadhunter02

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 03:02:10 PM »
Congrats my friend. You are one persistent individual. Most guys would have moved on to another bird.

Offline jmart241

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 03:37:59 PM »
Congrats well earned

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 04:07:31 PM »
It took 5 different set ups and 4 hours. On the last move I was able to get under a rolling finger ridge and get in tight. I was so close that I could hear the breath in the gobble. I then hammered him hard for 3 or 4 minutes without pause and he was gobbling so hard he was choking. I then moved forward on my hands and knees 30 yards leaving all my calls behind. 45 minutes I heard him on the other side of the ridge walking ever so slow. I never heard him drum once but I saw his fan. He periscoped his head up for a quick look and he was done at 35 yards. Man I hadnt been head to head with a bird like that in a very long time. I have had some tough ones but this one ranks up there. It is bitter sweet to know I wont hear him again. Lord I would hate to know if he lived another year how tough he would have really been. Maybe unkillable for me. Someone else may could have killed him though. It also took me 10 days , 7 of them consecutive.

The ones that pitch off the limb into your lap don't make you a better turkey hunter, those pull your hair out birds do.