OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Anatomy of a trumpet?

Started by SteelerFan, April 11, 2017, 09:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelerFan

At the risk of sounding naive, or just plain stupid... I was curious as to what "makes" a trumpet? I have no desire (or skill) to make one, but I was wondering what's inside? Is it just a matter of stepped down constriction? Are there "guts" of any kind in the mouthpiece / ferrule?

Is it a matter of changing diameter of the parts to achieve a certain tone? Again, not looking for trade secrets - just curious.

Thanks (from my inquiring mind...)

outdoors

Is it a matter of changing diameter of the parts to achieve a certain tone? Again, not looking for trade secrets - just curious.

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

nitro

Royal Slam 2008

SteelerFan

Well, that clears that up! Lol!

antnye

Big hole tapered or stepped down to the little hole. The magic is in the length and size of the tapers and holes. Every makers internals are a little different. As little as an 1/8 difference can affect sound and playability. I made a lot of firewood finding my internals.  ;D

SteelerFan

Quote from: antnye on April 12, 2017, 07:42:42 AM
Big hole tapered or stepped down to the little hole. The magic is in the length and size of the tapers and holes. Every makers internals are a little different. As little as an 1/8 difference can affect sound and playability. I made a lot of firewood finding my internals.  ;D

Thanks Anthony!  :icon_thumright:

KentuckyHeadhunter

Some makers use anywhere from 8 to even 12 different sizes inside their horns.  The length of each makes a difference in the tone, rollover, and volume.  There is science behind it.  Only a "few" have achieved the correct formula and like Anthony said it comes from trial and error.  Lots and lots of it. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

SteelerFan

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on April 12, 2017, 05:13:23 PM
Some makers use anywhere from 8 to even 12 different sizes inside their horns.  The length of each makes a difference in the tone, rollover, and volume.  There is science behind it.  Only a "few" have achieved the correct formula and like Anthony said it comes from trial and error.  Lots and lots of it.

Thanks! That's impressive...

antnye

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on April 12, 2017, 05:13:23 PM

That's about right Allen. You can see all my bits in the background of this pic. I use every one of these plus a couple reamers that aren't in the pic building a call.

SteelerFan

WOW! And that is a REALLY neat looking call...

pappy

there are many factors to a trumpets interior and its effects on the calls performance. I implement a trough inside the call, for setting the break, I also use a reamer instead of leaving any drill steps, and the mouth piece is another factor that allows the user to have a call that is easier to draw, or to accommodate for a higher start pitch for the yelp and kee-kee.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

SteelerFan

Quote from: pappy on April 12, 2017, 08:45:02 PM
there are many factors to a trumpets interior and its effects on the calls performance. I implement a trough inside the call, for setting the break, I also use a reamer instead of leaving any drill steps, and the mouth piece is another factor that allows the user to have a call that is easier to draw, or to accommodate for a higher start pitch for the yelp and kee-kee.

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: