OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Gobbler before the storm  (Read 3040 times)

Offline darn2ten

• The Boss Gobbler
Gobbler before the storm
« on: April 06, 2017, 10:30:02 AM »
Gobbler before the storm

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_type=t&share_fid=17578&share_tid=73014&url=http%3A%2F%2Foldgobbler%2Ecom%2FForum%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D73014%2Emsg711260%23msg711260&share_pid=711260

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline darn2ten

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Gobbler before the storm
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 10:37:20 AM »
Good Lord I'm about to give up! Tried to cancel this one and it say you cannot remove your own topic on this board. What's up with that? Why the heck not?

Offline darn2ten

• The Boss Gobbler
Gobbler before the storm
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 11:04:16 AM »

Well I went to go to work yesterday morning and got a call on the way that they decided to close due to weather concerns. I work for the ag research department at Alabama A&M University. Hey, I'm all for a paid day off to turkey hunt! Lol. Well the weather wasn't bad at all in the morning so off I went. Long story short I hunted my butt off on one place till 1:00 and just got a whole lot of frustration. Not a single peep, not even a hen yelp. I believe it had something to do with the pressure between the 2 weather fronts. However I did bump 2 different silent gobblers that I had no idea were sneaking in after I decided to get up and relocate both times. Came back to the house grabbed a snack and headed back out. By this time the wind was getting up pretty good with gusts into the 20's. I almost didn't even go. Got back to the peak of a ridge and as soon as I crested it I bumped 3 jakes. I preceded on and after about 75 yards I crest another little rise and guess what? Yep, catch a glimpse of a gobbler that is now leaving. I almost threw my hat and quit! I had just been easing along and hadn't even made a call at this point. I decided to give him a few minutes then try to loop around and get back in front of him in the direction he was going. Took me about 20 minutes to get to where I was headed. Once I got there I slipped in and started looking for a tree to set up on with no idea if he was still around or not. As I started easing to the tree I glanced up about 75 yards thru the trees and catch movement. It was him slipping through. Well there was no way I was making it to my setup so I waited for him to go behind a tree and just dropped straight down and went prone behind a big grapevine. He eased on and I lost sight of him. Got my gun in front of me and popped in a mouth call. I made a short series of yelps and he fired back. After a few minutes I still hadn't seen him so I hit him with a few more soft yelps and a few clicks. He never gobbled again, but after about a minute I saw him blowed up and moving in. He had my calls zeroed in and was slowly strutting in, so I just enjoyed one of the most awesome shows in nature and never called again. He finally got to a opening in front of me, broke strut and craned his neck up. At 23 yards I turned the ole A5 loose and thanked the Man upstairs!

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 11:06:42 AM »
Great story!!!!!!

Offline callaway71

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 02:08:45 PM »
Congrats!  Wish I can get away from work to hunt. I will be out this weekend for my first full day of hunting.

Offline TNTRKYHunter

Gobbler before the storm
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 03:10:17 PM »
Great story!! Awesome pic!! Congrats again!!