Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

what useful gadgets do you put in the vest?

Started by Disney, April 06, 2017, 07:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Toilet paper...  Good for wiping fogged up binoculars or glasses...  Also good for wiping other "stuff."

Plastic bags: used for a number of things, including putting optics or calls in with unexpected moisture.

GPS: so I can find the car when I want to go home.  Or mark a strutting area...  Or follow my tracks back, so I can find whatever call or piece of equipment I lost while walking.

Fury knife blade which has a serrated edge on one side good for sawing branches.

Super-Duper Turkey finder...  Just press a button and it locates every turkey within a square 1/2 mile...  Great tool to have in the vest...

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

boatpaddle

35MM film canister to carry my chalk in....Sand paper, green or maroon pads, & rubber bands, too.

A bag of those 11" velco straps.....They keep box & paddle calls quiet in your holster...

A qt. freezer bag to cover a gobblers head held on with a reuseable 11" Velcro strap..I store my camera & TP in it, till I kill one.

A tupperwear container with 5 ft of paracord, latex gloves for cleaning him out, my Gerber knife, extra mouth calls.....

CLEAR Jumbo toothbrush holders to keep my strikers dry......

A piece of 1 1/2 PVC with poly end caps long enough to store my favorite wooden Hegler trumpet in, if it's damp out or T-storm's are in the area...I wrapped it with camo self sticking tape, so the white pipe isn't visible.....

All of my friction calls are in Tupperware containers....
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

renegade19

A wide variety of pouches (cordura or leather) that ive scrounged up somewhere that hold strikers, pot calls, sandpaper, glass rougher, gps, etc.  Wipes, zip lock bags, saw or pruners or both.  That's about it.

ilbucksndux

I have a few chew cans with sandpaper emery cloth ect. one for chalk, one for calls. I have a chew can that is filled with cotton in Vaseline a book of matches and a lighter that is vacuum sealed for a fire starter. I also always have a Buckwing porta roof in my vest. Its an umbrella that you screw into a tree and is real handy for those spring pop up showers.It also works pretty good to put out in front of a kid or a buddy that cant sit still.

Gary Bartlow

Happy

I have a lot of special stuff I carry. I have a snakebitet kit, several lighters, backup battery for my phone with a pocket charger, tp, magnesium fire starter and some tinder, tp, seasoning, extra knife, and paracord. I hunt by myself and like to go in a Fer piece so I feel better being prepared if something should happen. This is all in a zip lock baby that I have slid into a crown royal bag to keep it quiet.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Lucky_Strutter

Gps, compass, phone, portable battery charger, leatherman wave, N cell batteries, CR123 batteries, waterproof matches, zip lock bags, rubber bands, surefire C2 and a glock 26.
The Great White Spur Hunter

catman529

Pocket juice. USB battery charger, some come with a built in flashlight too. I mainly use them for my camcorder, but it's also very useful if your phone won't last the whole day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WildTigerTrout

Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Jaildoc

Latex/Nitrile gloves. I carry them during deer season also. Besides the obvious use for dressing out game, I put them on before I answer natures call. 

They also come in handy if your hands are dirty and you want to eat any lunch you may have brought along with you.

"Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves."

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"

Kipling

Marc

Quote from: Happy on April 10, 2017, 04:49:11 PM
I have a snakebitet kit
I used to carry a snakebite kit as well...  Until I read that most of these kits (including the one I had) often do more harm than good when bitten.

You might do a bit of research on the one you currently have in your pack (I would be curious as to what you find out).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Ericbrooks

Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 06, 2017, 03:33:07 PM
coffee.... Don't go into the woods without it

Dawn cracking, birds gobbling, waiting for fly down... that's the best cup of joe a guy can have
100% agree with this!! Nothing like it!!

Rzrbac

Not in my vest but I wear a Camelbak under my vest. I can burn through 3L of water in hard day of hiking/hunting.  It's also much more convenient than pulling out a water bottle.

Ericbrooks

When the need arises, TP becomes the #1 most important and useful thing real quick!!

tha bugman

Chris O

I hunt with my kids a lot so I carry extra gloves and face masks they always seem to lose something.I also carry camo make up to fill in the spots that their face masks don't cover.I also carry pruning shears and a short Gerber machete that fits in my vest it is great for clearing up spots so that a shorter hunter can see over the under brush.It is also used to clear likely future calling locations at the end of a day or a hunt when there isn't much going on it saves you time on your next hunt.