OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Later Morning Scouting-- after 9am.  (Read 2766 times)

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
Later Morning Scouting-- after 9am.
« on: March 22, 2019, 04:45:38 AM »
Well Friends, I am getting ready for New Jersey + New York.30th Spring is coming up. My Scouting has changed over the years. And, I am getting more sleep because of it. I Scout both Weekend days now that Spring is here. I have 5 Weekends to Scout. On Saturday, I get up very early as usual . On Sundays though, I have 2 areas that, I scout in NY+ NJ-- that, I save for later morning Scouting. On these 2 areas, I will park right around 9am and Hike around for a few hours. Any Gobbles, I hear , I Mark that down on a map. Location and time. Regular Hikers will be out as well. If, I get Lucky and see some Turkeys at a distance- this will help out as well as people are just starting to get out and Hike around. So they will alter Turkey movement some on the Public Lands. These 2 area will be my Later morning hunting areas . I live in NY and am only 20 miles from NJ. A plus with ( some) later morning Scouting is, I am getting more sleep. Should be a Great Spring coming up!

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Later Morning Scouting-- after 9am.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 08:36:48 AM »
It is nice to have these 2 areas that, I focus all of my Later morning hunting on. All my other spots , I go at Pre-Dawn.Scouting and perhaps hearing a Tom around 10am or so gives me the confidence to go in these 2 areas later in the morning.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 09:10:10 AM »
Your second comment clarified my confusion over your first comment about "getting more sleep".  Anybody that's "getting more sleep" scouting for spring gobblers is doing something completely wrong!   ;D :toothy12:

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 11:37:13 AM »
I’m always amazed at the North and northeastern states turkey populations and there habits of  gobbling later in the day and on the roost at flyup. I scout every week starting in March and everyday the last week or so before the opener. Most times it’s a few gobbles on the roost and they fly down to hens or head to a strutting zone. Very rare to hear very much after fly down early season before the hens nest.
No chance of sleeping in for me once it starts it’s 3am wake up till end of May....but I love every minute
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 12:30:46 PM »
These 2 areas are the ones,that, I save for 9.30am to 12 Noon closure. So, I scout just these 2 areas later in the morning. Come April 22nd to the end of May, I will be up at 2.45am just about every day.All my other Public spots, I scout pre-dawn. Goal is to bag 5 Gobblers in NY+NJ. Good Luck All!!

Offline TRG3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 05:43:05 PM »
I didn't realize it at the time, but my slow methodical approach to looking for mushrooms was the perfect pace for listening for late-morning gobblers. On two different occasions, I've heard in the distance toms on their strut zones gobbling about once every 4-5 minutes. My mushroom searching quickly ended and I backed out of there only to return during the season to take those birds. 

Offline Spurs

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 11:22:11 AM »
I have been doing the same now for several years, but my work schedule isn't quite as forgiving.  I work construction, typically a long ways from home.  Right now I am working in WV, OH, and PA.  My scouting day is only Sunday.  I will get to the highest nob and locate as many as possible.  Then I will attempt to perch myself in a closer location to hear the general area of the densest amount of gobblers.  There is usually that lull period from fly down until 9ish, then if one cranks up, I will try to figure out which tom it was and how he got there.

This process has proven deadly over the years on the road with one day a week to hunt.
This year is going to suck!!!