OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lathe help

Started by jeffpike83, April 05, 2017, 07:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffpike83

Hi guys I'm wanting to start making my own pot calls I ordered a shopfox wood lathe and I need help on what Chuck and bits I need thanks for any help

southern_leo

I bought the economy 4 jaw chuck from psi. Has been good for the price.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

jeffpike83

I'm new to this so I need a chuck to attach my bits to. What is the easiest way to mount wood for a pot call some said a screw chuck

mastevt

Hopefully this will help ya.   But,...This is certainly NOT the only way you can turn a pot.
Just the way I do it.

1st)  Find center in your blank.  I use a forsner bit to make the center of my pedestal.
        Then trim off the corners.  Use this chuck, and by expanding, hold the pot.  Do the
        Outside of your pot first.

2nd)  Find an old motorcycle inner tube.  Make a wide rubber band, and use it to protect
         your pot from the jaws of the next chuck.

Change out your chuck, and hold your pot from the outside, and turn the inside.

southern_leo

Nice tutorial! Do you keep two chucks or change out the jaws each time? Just curious. I know most people who use two sets of jaws end up with two chucks to keep from always changing

mastevt

Quote from: southern_leo on April 09, 2017, 02:57:41 PM
Nice tutorial! Do you keep two chucks or change out the jaws each time? Just curious. I know most people who use two sets of jaws end up with two chucks to keep from always changing

I bought several extra chuck bodies, so I'm not wasting time changing jaws.  I can go from making pot calls to boring out tube calls in just the time it takes to change chucks.  Worth it IMHO.

jeffpike83

Thanks for all the help guys