OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Please critique.  (Read 3557 times)

Offline deerbasshunter3

• The Boss Gobbler
  • God bless, and happy hunting!
Please critique.
« on: April 05, 2017, 04:24:45 PM »
Soundfile of diaphragm yelping. Basically, what am I doing right, and what do I need to change?
Listen to Storm yelp by deerbasshunter3 #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/deerbasshunter3/storm-yelp
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 04:35:52 PM by deerbasshunter3 »

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
Re: Please critique.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 07:15:04 PM »
To me it's a touch choppy.  I'm not an expert but I like my yelps drawn out a touch longer with a distinct break between the two notes. I tend to like my yelps a little higher pitched as well.  That's just my opinion though so take it for what it's worth.

Offline Clardh

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 06:58:14 PM »
I would agree with Rzrbac. To me the quality is more on the lines of a tree yelp if it were softer. I will tell you that the sound isn't bad! I would go online and utube Scott Ellis. He has some of the best videos to help you with your yelp.

Offline deerbasshunter3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 07:31:48 PM »
So, a little louder and a little faster?

Offline deerbasshunter3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 08:43:26 PM »
Listen to More yelps by deerbasshunter3 #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/deerbasshunter3/more-yelps-1

I don't know, Maybe I'm just not meant to yelp...

Offline Clardh

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 07:13:49 AM »
The faster and louder yelp definitely sounds better. Don't give up! I have been yelping with a mouth call now for 30 years and I'm still not good. Sure I have killed turkeys using a mouth call but I also switch up with slates and box calls. Try not to get frustrated and keep it fun. That yelp of yours will definitely end some turkeys day. Keep at it!!! :icon_thumright:

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 09:33:30 PM »
Can I ask how many reeds you are trying use?It is best to start with a nice double reed call in my opinion that way you still get the 2 tones.It sounds to me like you are moving a lot of air to get the reeds to work it doesn't sound bad it just sounds like you are putting a lot of pressure or having to blow hard t get it to go. I have used a lot of different mouth calls in my years of turkey hunting . Some of the easier ones to work are perfection double reed,Primo's sonic dome triple  bat cut,primos hacked off bat cut, with the green and black top reed and everything from Gooserbat that I have tried has been super easy to run with out a lot of work. I have had to try and throw a lot of mouth calls away over the years but I hardly go over a triple reed anymore.Keep practicing and trying new ones and you will find what you like