OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Marlin Watkins List  (Read 11568 times)

Offline wcerin

Marlin Watkins List
« on: April 05, 2017, 08:24:38 AM »
Has anyone spoke to Marlin lately and know how long of a wait his list is.
“Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, & some don't turn up at all.”

Offline vt35mag

• Longbeard
Re: Marlin Watkins List
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 09:03:14 AM »
I got on his list two weeks ago, and it sounded like I am looking at May or June.

Offline Happy hooker

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 04:00:51 PM »
Does he have an email or only phone contact

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 04:50:27 PM »
I have 6 of his fiddle box calls. Just talked to him yesterday and he is going to build me a bloodwood over mulberry one sider. It surprised me because I thought he only built long boxes and fiddle boxes.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline wcerin

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 05:12:51 PM »
I have 6 of his fiddle box calls. Just talked to him yesterday and he is going to build me a bloodwood over mulberry one sider. It surprised me because I thought he only built long boxes and fiddle boxes.

I am assuming his Fiddle Box is a short box? What wood combinations do you recommend for his Fiddle Box. Did Martin give you a time frame on your order? Sorry about the 50 questions thing. I appreciate the info.
“Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, & some don't turn up at all.”

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 05:49:01 PM »
Yes , the fiddle box is his short box. I like a bloodwood lid over butternut,  beech or poplar. His macassar over persimmon is his most sold call. Marlin recommended mora over butternut.  Trust me , it really doesnt matter what combo , coming from marlin its gonna sound great. Hadnt heard a bad sounding one from him yet. If you get on his list , it will be most likely late summer getting a call.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”

Online wareagle22

• Fatal Attraxion Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 05:16:13 AM »
I ordered a ebony/persimmon and a mora/butternut last week and Marlin told me it would be late summer before I could expect them.    Not a bad wait for what you get!!!

Offline Will

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 07:49:20 AM »
I ordered a ebony/persimmon and a mora/butternut last week and Marlin told me it would be late summer before I could expect them.    Not a bad wait for what you get!!!

You certainly won't be disappointed with those combinations. Two different sounds. To me the Ebony/Persimmon combo is more young hen with the Mora/Butternut being more mature sound. That wait time is not long at all. That's about what he told me for a Beech/Bloodwood combo.

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 08:35:39 AM »
That bloodwood over beech sure sounds good to my ear.I kept mine in my vest all season. Didnt kill anything with it , but came close a couple times.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”

Offline vt35mag

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 10:13:31 AM »
I got on his list two weeks ago, and it sounded like I am looking at May or June.

***Update***

I've been in contact with Marlin the past two days, and he is shipping me two fiddleboxes today! Wait time should be short right now, sounds like he is getting caught up on his list. 

The calls he is shipping are a Chakte Viga over Black Limba, and a Macassar Ebony over Butternut. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 11:16:15 AM by vt35mag »

Offline DUCKDIGGLER

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 10:36:25 AM »
vt...... my phone should be ringing here shortly then.....I got on the list right about the same time as you  for 2 boxes as well!   Fingers crossed!!  :you_rock:   Let us know how you like them....and pics never hurt!  ;D

Offline Deast1988

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 11:01:05 AM »
What's his contact An prices?

Offline vt35mag

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 11:09:25 AM »
vt...... my phone should be ringing here shortly then.....I got on the list right about the same time as you  for 2 boxes as well!   Fingers crossed!!  :you_rock:   Let us know how you like them....and pics never hurt!  ;D

Will do

Offline Will

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 01:10:23 PM »

***Update***

I've been in contact with Marlin the past two days, and he is shipping me two fiddleboxes today! Wait time should be short right now, sounds like he is getting caught up on his list. 

The calls he is shipping are a Chakte Viga over Black Limba, and a Macassar Ebony over Butternut.

That Chakte Viga over Black Limba is interesting. You'll have to post pictures when you get thes. I have an Ebony over Persimmon that I rank up there along with an Ebony over Cedar. I think that Ebony makes a great lid

Offline vt35mag

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 01:38:43 PM »
That Chakte Viga over Black Limba is interesting. You'll have to post pictures when you get thes.

I will post pics when I get them.  It is definitely an interesting call, and sounds totally opposite of the ebony/persimmon I have already.  I had to decide between it and a Mora/Blue Mahoe, but I just couldn't get over the high whiney front of the Chakte Viga/Limba. 
Those two along with the ebony/butternut, makes for three totally different sounding calls.  I was hoping to get a bloodwood/beech too, but he was out of them.