Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Getting to come those last 10-15 yards

Started by Gentry, April 03, 2017, 02:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

We can all tell stories about how we did everything right and killed old Tom and we can all tell stories of how nothing went right and we have no earthly idea why we did not kill him. 

Had one Sunday roosted exactly where we thought he would be.  I set up on a trail he had used the prior two days and my nephew slipped around to the other likely spot he would travel.  I had already sat down and was listening to his real close gobbles and was waiting to hear him hit the ground before i called when he suddenly flew out of the tree, about 15 minutes earlier than normal. I hot footed around and got in front of him, but he only gobbled once when he hit the ground and I called in a hen, no gobbler in tow.  After talking with nephew, he was just getting ready to sit down when he busted three hens that had roosted right where he was sitting.  The timing was right that they had spooked the tom as well.  If those hens had not been roosted there, that Tom would have likely died. 

Sometimes being quiet is right, sometimes letting it rip calls them in.  There is never any one right answer so you go with the best odds.  I have had them hang up on a tiny little mud puddle and had some fly across a pretty wide creek to die.  Random, wary and panicky. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

vabeardhunter

Been having some success with birds not wanting to close the distance since trying a handheld decoy. Now ya need to be very careful and know your surroundings and who is around. Fortunately I am on private ground without anyone else around. I was really reluctant about trying it, but have def had some success with it getting them to close. With that being said, I've also sent one out of the country trying it... Like the earlier comments, sometimes turkeys are just being turkey's and that's how it goes no matter what ya do

KYHeadhunter02

There's no exact answer imo. Scraping leaves. Not just digging but the scrape once, pause....scrape twice like a hen does switching feet. You could go silent, break out a gobble tube. If you want to get aggressive and know the land you could circle him if you can do it quietly. I have no where near the experience some of these guys. Just my opinion. That's why they can be so frustrating.

KYHeadhunter02

Also how far would the 10-15 yards put you?

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

ilbucksndux

More than once I have had one just over the top of a ridge where I could see his fan but he would NOT stick his head over any farther. A few times scratchin the leaves or the silent treatment worked.The last two times that has happened to me I eased behind the tree and stood up. Now when he hangs up at 50 yards and I want him at 40................not came up with a solution for that one yet.
Gary Bartlow

HFultzjr

I'm convinced that some gobblers, at least here in PA, will only come in to where they should see a "hen". If it's you call that brought him this far, he is looking for something, be it bird, leaf scratching, movement, anything. If he reaches a certain point, can hear a hen, and sees nothing.........gone! Of course you always have those birds that will run you over looking for her. My advice is, if you need him to come those last 10-15 yards to be within 40 yards, then change your set-up. A little thicker, rise in a knoll, terrain, etc. When I set-up, I want the gobbler to be close to 40 yards when I 1st see him. It's fun watching them gobble their head off, strut, etc., but if they are out of range and you can see them, they are looking for you. If they don't see what their looking for they will move on gobbling for you to follow. A good set-up is also having someone call about 15 yards behind you. Puts you between the caller and the bird. Nothing is carved in stone and they may run right up to you. I used to see a lot of gobblers, but didn't kill any. Now if I see one and I'm set-up, he is in range or very very close. Of course I'll probably do something else to mess it up.........LOL!

:OGani:

g8rvet

QuoteMy advice is, if you need him to come those last 10-15 yards to be within 40 yards, then change your set-up.

Good advice and I can easily admit this is where I am struggling.  People say this all the time, but I have to see in my head what they mean.  Sometimes I see it as I am setting up, sometimes not.  But I believe it is correct, too many other good turkey killers have said it for me to dismiss it.  I just am not sure it has fully clicked or not yet. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.