OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: SC Hunting  (Read 3583 times)

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
SC Hunting
« on: April 03, 2017, 03:20:24 PM »
Not been hunting too much since Ninja was down.  Busy last week with things that I had to get done and the weather this week looks to be crappy for hunting.  Did go Saturday morning and they gobbled ok on the limb and hammered for about 30-45 minutes on the ground them just went dead, could only hunt the morning. 

Tomorrow looks like the only good day for the week so I am going to meet a buddy over on some public land.  We are supposed to have some heavy storms this evening so hopefully they will be fired up tomorrow between the systems.  Hope to hunt Saturday and then headed back down to farm to hunt Monday and Tuesday.

Will try to keep my hunting updated here on this thread.  Some more guys should be getting started before too much longer. Good luck and be safe.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Turkeykiller12

SC Hunting
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 05:51:40 PM »
Good luck. Hope you kill a big one. It'll be a few days before I get to go again also.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
Re: SC Hunting
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 06:35:10 PM »
Good luck! 

I'll be glad when the 17th gets here.

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
SC Hunting
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 10:19:12 AM »
Hunted all day yesterday in the National Forest. We went to an area a friend suggested as there were birds there during duck season. Figured with the front that moved through and the next coming they would be worked up, not so much. Got there and worked our way to the listening spot and nothing. We moved around a bit and did not see very much sign so we moved on to another spot. Got there and walked down an old road bed. When we got to the end we called because the bottom where they like to be is right there. Called no answer. We get down in bottom and walk a little ways then stopped to come up with plan.

As we are talking a bird gobbles. We get quiet and listen but nothing. I pull out my box and Yelp and he fires back. We quickly get set up. Well he never gobbled again and in all the haste and excitement dummy me forgot how close we were to the creek. My buddy saw him strutting but he was on the other side.

After that we did not hear anything else but a hen Yelp a few times.

Was a beautiful day, little windy, but it was great catching up with an old friend.

Will be back at it wide open Saturday and will be hunting the farm Monday and Tuesday.

Here are a couple photos I took hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline YoungbuckTX

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 12:19:01 PM »
good pics Donald. save a hunt for me
line 'em up

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 12:20:34 PM »
Best of luck

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 12:40:12 PM »
You should do well on the farm.

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 01:08:53 PM »
Nice pic!  That ground looks flat. I've never hunted turkeys in flat ground, figure they would be harder than hills.

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 02:05:08 PM »
Nice pic!  That ground looks flat. I've never hunted turkeys in flat ground, figure they would be harder than hills.

It's all in what your used to. A turkey is a turkey no matter the topography. In my limited experience, I find thick cutovers the hardest to hunt.