OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Her First Turkey, WI "Learn to Hunt" Success  (Read 3282 times)

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
Her First Turkey, WI "Learn to Hunt" Success
« on: April 02, 2017, 06:06:27 PM »
Piper killed her Gobbler!! 8:37 this morning at the Bluff Country Long Spurs NWTF Wisconsin DNR "Learn to Hunt" :)

Here's how the hunt went!

Great way to start out the year! Piper had never fired a gun until yesterday at our class. Found out she is right handed but left eye dominant. (A lot of ladies are) I did switch her to shooting "lefty" and we were on target. Met down to the Bridgeport Fire Station early this morning for a little round up and prep and we hit the field. As we were setting decoys the birds fired up with some gobbles and it was game on! The first "Flock" we seen was between 40 and 50 hens, a couple were bearded but they just made their way across the field, then we called in a lone hen that I had been seeing that had some very light plumage. Finally we had the 3 toms I had been scouting fire up and cross in the timber behind us, as they entered the field by following a group of 7 hens... They would talk but only would follow those hens. A little time goes by and I spot this tom in the field a few hundred yards away in full strut, I would call and he started coming and closed in by a hundred yards, and then he did it... crossed over the hill to the other side of us where all the other birds went. I kept calling on the Cody but he never gobbled, then I seen a black spot in the field, nope crow. I looked back up and there he was full strut and 80 yards out, once he seen Big Puffy dance he came running, and right past him to "Lil' Tuffy" my DSD Jake. Piper had the gun in place and got on him, I told her to get on his neck and take him, I whispered it again and then Piper says the safety is on :) Yup first time in the field and was now shooting a RH gun Lefty and was pushing the safety "On", I quickly moved the camera out of the way and took the safety off and said as soon as you can get back on him shoot, the tom was still fighting with Lil' Tuffy and she killed him at 17 yards!!

10yr old Piper's Gobbler

MK M GOBL
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 03:51:56 AM by MK M GOBL »

Offline MISSISSIPPI Double beard

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: Her First Turkey, WI "Learn to Hunt" Success
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 08:48:02 PM »
Congrats Piper!
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 11:04:20 PM »
Awesome, congrats to the young lady!

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 07:39:40 AM »
Congrats to the young Gal on a nice bird and to you for introducing another youth to the sport we love!!. Heck of a nice Gobbler!!!  :icon_thumright:

Offline mgm1955

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 10:02:34 PM »
Congrats young lady!!