OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lost John Found

Started by West Augusta, April 01, 2017, 09:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

West Augusta

After a year,  I'm still unpacking.  Today,  while unpacking a box from the move I found an old scratch box made by the father of a friend and former neighbor of mine John Sisler.  John was also an electrician with the IBEW and had worked on a couple of my projects at my old job.

This scratch box is different in that the striker is a piece of chalk.  The sound chamber is also open.
I've lost touch with Sheila and John since I moved but I found his call and plan on using it this spring.

No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Very cool Steve.  I've seen a few old timers use yellow chalk as the striker.  Good story and thanks for sharing. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Rzrbac

turkey stew

unique scratcher Steve! Good luck this spring!

wvmntnhick

My grandfather also knew John as I believed they worked on the same jobs frequently. He too was a member of the IBEW. Pap had several of them and gave one to my father. It's the same call that my nephew used to work some birds the other day. I have the very call Pap used to call in a bird for me and it's the only call he'd use. Personally, I don't run it well enough to feel confid not with it but it sure worked for him. It'll stay with me unless my girls decide they want to hunt and can use it well enough. I'd sure like to find replacement chalk for it or another striker all together.

mgm1955