OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I want to share this.....

Started by pappy, March 31, 2017, 08:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappy

This little scratcher was made by my Dad back in the 70's...it is only 3 - 1/2" long and 3/4" X 1" square. I have never seen it before last week when my brother in law in IA., sent it to me. He said Dad gave him 6 of them during a visit, I looked carefully at it and found file marks where Dad made the soundboard, and knife marks where he thinned the box itself. My brother in law said Dad told him he made it from an old table, the striker looks to be Mahogany and the box looks like Sycamore. I tell you, I never knew Dad to make any calls, I saw him use box calls but I always thought he bought them, maybe now he didn't. But any how, I am going to cherish this lil scratcher, and place it under his pic of him cutting his 80th birthday cake. He passed the next year....in 2001...
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Rzrbac

callmakerman

SS Calls

turkey stew

wcerin

Enjoy the memories and cherish that  family treasure.
"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, & some don't turn up at all."

coyote1

Marc

Cool find, and sounds like you have a nice brother-in-law...  Nice of him to think of you and send you that little treasure.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

pappy

yep, he is ....I have 9 other siblings 7 younger and none ever told me about dad's call making. I left home at 17 so I missed out I guess.
tel...573-380-8206

Doug Lewis

Very neat little story. Those Lewis folk always full of surprises.... :OGani:

pappy

LOL yep especially those "south" of the border
tel...573-380-8206

Haypatch

That's awesome glad you got your hands on it I know it will be cherished!