OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: good food plots for turkeys?  (Read 10854 times)

Offline beard collecter45

good food plots for turkeys?
« on: April 10, 2011, 07:07:30 PM »
i just wanted to see if anyone new of anygood food plots for turkeys that the hens can care for her pouls in and also keep the turkeys healthy and maybe to hunt over. any info would be appreciated

Offline jakesdad

• Longbeard
  • NE Missouri
Re: good food plots for turkeys?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 09:04:46 PM »
we have had prety good luck just discing up a field(lightly) to turn up some dirt and let the weeds grow.seems there is enough dirt/weed mix that attracts bugs and its fairly easy for the younguns to get at em.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Offline furtracker

• Alabama
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 11:15:58 PM »
There is some commercial blends that claim to attract bugs and provide good cover for poults.

http://www.whitetailhabitat.com/detail.asp?product_id=BT12

http://www.penningtonseed.com/pc-_18-pd-_167

Offline nolimit679

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 04:29:02 PM »
The area i hunt in SW kansas is just absolutely covered in wild sand plumb thickets. If your area has those growing, i would look towards planting some thickets but be careful! coyotes and foxes LOVE those things too!

Offline Dixie Whistler

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 07:28:38 PM »
Grains like wheat, rye, oats; or millets, milo, clover; of course, corn or beans, sunflowers- anything that makes lots of seeds.  Never tried chufa, but it sure gets a lot of attention. 

Offline tyelper

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 06:56:11 PM »
where i hunt there is a big area that stays moist in the neck of 2 woods we run a disc and 4 wheeler through it every fall ad spring and plant milo and chufa, turkey love it but as soon as you start attracting turkeys to the plot you will attrat other varmits to,,,,,

wild mustard also arrtacts turkeys because of the bugs the mustard attracts,,

Offline GeorgeJR

• Photo was after neck shot of Buck going out happy!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 09:21:34 AM »
We have been planting rye, oats, and mix of a few other things for buffer strips at our farm.  Used to help control erosion and filter runoff before going into the natural spring fed creek.  Turkeys seem to love it and mix between the field, the buffer strips and the oak tree to feed year round.  Deer use it for bedding down, but most often used by the turkeys in the spring and fall.  We have tall marsh grass that they prefer for the nesting as you can hid about anything including a 12 pt buck in that stuff w/o seeing from as close as 5 ft away.  Most don't have the dampness to keep marshgrass, but we have a farm right next to the Horicon Marsh in Wisconsin and with all the natural springs keeps ice free water supply for all the animals year round (which is saying something living in Wisconsin)  8-).  Coons, Foxes and Coyotes on the farm (in order of #s), I'm thinking of knocking the coon numbers down this year as they are really making a mess of the corn fields and the Turkeys would appreciate them not getting into the eggs.

Offline Lunchbox

• I love being me.
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 12:59:38 AM »
I've been told clover works very well.

Offline strutter

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 08:51:15 AM »
I have a mix of white and crimmson clover with some chicory mixed in and have turkeys hitting it almost daily. Once planted clover will last for about 5 years. Deer are in it daily as well.

Offline darron

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 06:33:47 PM »
On my farm my go to food plot forage is a mixture...

50-80# of winter rye

100-150# of oats

6-8# white clover or 8-10# of red

This will feed deer and turkey all year. Plant above mix in mid to late August.

Offline longbeard56

• Tenth Legion
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 09:23:56 PM »
On our lease we have been using Chufa and Rut & Strut for about 6 years. Once the birds figure out the Chufa they save it until they clean up all the natural food sources and then they dig it up like crazy. It's really supported our birds weight and overall health as they get it when they need it most. It's easy to grow. Listed as a perennial but due to the birds digging up the root system we need to plant each year.
longbeard 56/Tenth Legionnaire
Tri-County Longbeards
NWTF Chapter
Southern NJ.

Offline jasperjet

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 12:42:21 AM »
I am planting chicory and durano clover together for the turkeys . Should have plenty of bugs in there. my friend planted chufas but they ate it up so fast that he no longer plants it. Takes a lot of acreage.

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 10:45:16 PM »
I've had great luck hunting deer and turkeys over WINA clover and Extreme plots.