OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Longbeards consistencies

Started by Zombie1978, March 31, 2017, 12:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zombie1978

I'm having trouble getting my patterns consistent. I can shoot 2or 3 times and pattern dead center and next round it throughs to the right or left. It happens off and on. No set pattern that I have found. I have tried different chokes and still seems to happen.

Tennessee Lead

I've got the same issues.
About drove myself crazy the last few days trying to figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zombie1978

I think I am going back to my Thugs. They always shot good for me. I don't mind paying for the longbeards but don't want to miss or wound a bird because of the shell.

old3toe

I had the same issues with my 835 and the longbeards. Seems the tighter the choke the worse it gets. In an Indian Creek .675 in my gun they were way off from shot to shot at 40yds. Now in my hs undertaker .695 they seem to settle down and shoot to the same poa. I know another guy that had the same issue with them in a sumtoy choke. I think it was a .670 or .675. Anyway he missed a bird and checked his zero and said his patterns were all over the place. I told him what I had experienced and that i thought the same was his problem but he said he was sure it was the red dot on his gun and was replacing it. So he got a new red dot and sighted it in with a shot or two. I talked to him later after season was out and asked how things worked out for him and he said on his next hunt he missed another nice gobbler clean. When he followed up at the pattern board his patterns were impacting all over just like before. Makes me nervous to keep shooting them even when they seem to be shooting better in my hs strutt choke! Especially with the reports of the slug like impacts some guys are experiencing with them at 40yds showing clearly the reesin in them didn't break up.

Zombie1978

I also got some big holes at 40. I was thinking maybe just some kind of wadding. I was shooting them through my Remington 870 with a superfull choke that measures .665. This is the pattern I'm getting with my Thugs in #5. I think it will work good and isn't so tight at 20 and in.

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk