OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Slate thickness strong enough?  (Read 2641 times)

Offline Disney

• Poor old boy couldn't resist a Timber Tune cluck.
Slate thickness strong enough?
« on: March 30, 2017, 06:46:14 PM »
I worry about the durability of slate used for the striking surface or soundboard. The slate available is 3/32" thick or sometimes translated to 0.09 thickness. I'm worried the slate will crack or break  as a striking surface or soundboard. Is a single layer strong enough? Or should I glue two pieces together? It just seems so thin. Has anyone had issues with their slate breaking in their pot calls? Maybe I worry for nothing but any help is appreciated.
Maker of Timber Tune Custom made pot calls. Fine domestic and beautiful exotic wood.
timbertunes126@gmail.com

Offline MickT

Slate thickness strong enough?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 08:11:43 PM »
I think that is pretty much "industry standard" for call making. I've never broken one I've made or bought. If you start changing the calling surface specs, you'll have to re-engineer the rest of the call as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Disney

Re: Slate thickness strong enough?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 12:16:14 AM »
I kind of figured that and that woul be alot of extra work. Thans though, it's reassuring. 
 :thanks:
Maker of Timber Tune Custom made pot calls. Fine domestic and beautiful exotic wood.
timbertunes126@gmail.com

Offline ridgerunner

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Roosted ain't Roasted!
    • www.feathercreekcalls.com
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 11:56:53 AM »
Have you had one break? I've never had an issue...guess if one breaks then it will be an issue.. why worry about hypothetical's ?

Offline Disney

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 01:01:34 PM »
My friend bought a custom call and the slate soundboard broke. I'm not sure if it was dropped or what happened to it. It was a slate over Slate and the broken piece rattles around when you shake it. I do not know who made the call but I have been hesitant to use slate when I saw what happened.
timbertunes126@gmail.com

Offline mastevt

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Find me on face book, Scott's Custom Turkey Calls
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 02:42:49 PM »
I know a guy who sands his down even thinner for his playing surface.  So I would imagine if he's not having issues, the standard .090 thickness would not present a problem.  Broken soundboard
could just be a fluke, or possibly he dropped it, but I would think if the drop was hard enough to break the SB, it would at least cracked the surface, and at least put a dent in the edge.

Offline Disney

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 07:28:35 PM »
Good point. I agree. I'm not going to worry about it since it's such a rare thing. Thanks for the information.
timbertunes126@gmail.com