OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Question on walking in, in the morning  (Read 6719 times)

Offline DeafGobbler

Question on walking in, in the morning
« on: March 29, 2017, 05:37:54 PM »
I've shot two turkeys over a span of 6 years, with this season (starting the middle of it) being the season I've gotten bit by the bug and taking it serious... my first turkey was 6 years ago being a Jake, my second being a double bird 4 years ago. Both times I just lucked up and found super hot birds who worked. I'm a pretty good duck hunter and deer hunter, and have now found the entertainment and challenge in a "real" turkey hunt. Hoping to break my 4 year old dry spell this season.

I've scouted my woods  and have spotted a couple gobblers and quite a bit of sign. My plan is to hike in (2+ mile walk) where I feel the concentration of all my sign is at... dust bowls, a feather, tracks, and of course two sightings and set up this weekend. My problem is I'm not 100% where they roost. I know it's somewhere to the west (red circle/maybe further) based on my observations on a afternoon scout. That's the direction they were heading. The green pins are a lot of sign, and my tracks are on a game trail that for the most part borders a dirt road. My original game plan is to do like I would on a deer hunt, sneak in a good 2 or so hours before light that way the woods settle down before daybreak. After tons of research and trying to learn, I'm concerned now I may bump a roost along the way, if not even the birds I seen since I'm unsure with their exact roost location. The green arrow is just representing where I'm assuming they are traveling into these fields which I'm assuming are strut zones maybe?

My question is...

Should I chance walking in before daylight with lights/potential loud noises and get set up right on the bulk of my sign and be ready

Or

Wait until day break and try and ease my way back in and take a chance of the turkeys already passing that spot or them busting me on the ground.

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
Re: Question on walking in, in the morning
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 05:51:53 PM »
Walk in before daylight. Don't use a light, let your eyes adjust and give yourself plenty of time to get there.  Walk slow and make as little noise as possible.

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 06:22:56 PM »
I would follow right at the outside edge of that timber, lot less noisy and will be "brighter" going in, go in early. Looks to be a valley right there behind you and those birds would typically roost where it starts to drop off, and 1/3 down the hill (depends on weather too). How much cover do you have? are you starting to leaf out yet?

MK M GOBL

Offline beakbuster10

• The Boss Gobbler
Question on walking in, in the morning
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 07:09:33 PM »
He's going to those fields at some point, guarantee that. If you can hunt the fields, walk the field in and kill him on his way to the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DeafGobbler

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 09:26:08 PM »
Thanks guys

We stayed "leafed out" for the most part, lol. (Florida) but it is pretty dense. There's a two trail that is some what clear and can help cut down on noise going in.

The fields are off limits unfortunately, so not only can't I use them for access, I can't shoot him off the field. I have just enough room in the one corner where I can set up. It's pretty close to a 29 yard span of dusting spots/bowls.

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 09:26:49 PM »
walk in before daylight and listen for em on the roost. Dont worry about getting close to the exact roost for now, most birds aren't killed straight off the roost anyway. They'll be on the ground all day and you should get a chance to call one in. During the day time stop to listen everytime a crow caws loudly. Or a goose honks... and don't give up later in the morning, it may be quieter, but it's more likely a lonely gobbler will randomly fire up during the day.

Once you've hunted the spot a couple times you might find out where they are roosting and be able to set up close to the roost. But for now I wouldn't worry about it, seems like you already found a great spot. Good luck

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 10:30:42 PM »
Agree, don't worry about the roosted bird. Just make your way with plenty of time before daylight. I do believe in using a small pen light or clip hat light to cover ground better and make less noise. You can always cut your light off after getting close to your hunting area.

Offline DeafGobbler

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 10:53:15 PM »
I was more concerned on spooking birds off a roost then I was finding them to hunt. Based off what I read it seemed like a turkey hunters all time sin? Since I don't know exactly where they're at I was just worried on spooking them and it hurting me later in the morning. Hopefully Friday morning I'll have a picture to post.  :icon_thumright:

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 12:53:53 AM »
I have no idea what the terrain in Florida affords you, but I generally walk in to where I am going with no light.  Doing this I have inadvertently walked right under a roost tree without consequence...

I have also had birds pitch out of a tree due to lights, excessive noise, or talking.

Although I do take friends and family out, I prefer to hunt alone...  I have yet to hunt with someone, that can hunt in silence (including myself).  I have seen birds come right in with talking, but I also have to wonder how many birds did not come in due to talking?  Do the talking at the truck, walk close so you can communicate with your partner silently, and get there early enough that you can walk in slow.

If I know where a bird is roosted, I might utilize a light until I approach my hunting spot, but if I can get away with NOT using a light, I will always do so.  No lights, no noise, no talking...  You can often walk right underneath them in the dark (although I would avoid doing so if possible).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline dejake

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 05:37:29 AM »
walk in along the field, and set up in that second "finger" that ticks out.  Put some dekes out, and sooner or later, you'll see something.

Offline High plains drifter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 06:36:10 AM »
This is a good post. They can see you in the dark, and they will fly in the dark.Try not to walk across open areas if possible. Don't use lights.Stay on the edge of the trees, and be silent.This is where I used to blow it, when I first started hunting birds. I wasn't early enough, or I was too noisy.You have to get to your set up point, before it starts getting light, and pick a clear, non windy day, when you can hear well.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 06:38:36 AM »
Not exactly answering your question but if you have tons of sign n are willing to walk you should do so before you hunt n learn where to be. If there's a trail I'd use no light. Lights at least in my area bust birds.

Offline kjnengr

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 09:59:17 AM »
I use one of those 3-in-1 flashlights.  The ones that are about 4" long and have a white, a red, and, blueish light for blood tracking.  I try not to use the light if I can see, but if I have to, I use the red light.  Like others said, get there plenty early and you won't have much to worry about as long as you try and be quiet. 

Two years ago, I walked right under a roosted bird after hearing one gobble about 300 yards away.  Imagine my surprise when I got set up and the bird that was now behind me was so close it almost blew my hat off.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 11:21:43 AM »
Unless you know exactly where they are roosted that day, just quietly get to the general vicinity and wait 'til gobbling time for them to let you know where they are, then adjust accordingly. Don't make it harder than what it is.

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 11:53:16 AM »
I would get to a vantage point where you can hear good from and wait for that first gobble then slowly close the distance.  I have eased into the woods and had birds gobble right next to me and i've walked right past roosted birds.  Roosting really helps but we all know schedules don't always this but if you can you have at least a location.