OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Which pattern would yall go with  (Read 7958 times)

Offline WNCTracker

• Longbeard
Re: Which pattern would yall go with
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2017, 12:26:37 PM »
Looks like either pattern will be highly effective on turkeys at 40yds.  So, easy choice for me, Longbeards at $2/shot vs. Hevi at almost $8/shot?

This is true.  For me I can kill 4 birds a year in TN, so that means I spend $40 in ammo, send in a $10 rebate which brings me back to $30 for 4 birds.  I'd spend $6 a bird to get the best performance I can get.  I can't see worrying about $2-$3 on the only piece of equipment you have that makes contact with what you are trying to kill. 

Lots of people say this, and it makes sense when you're talking about the moment of truth and the cost per turkey after you put in the up front cost of multiple boxes when patterning a new gun, any changes in chokes, optics, or during pre season shooting etc....it just adds up to more than $3 more a shell when you factor it all in there.

Offline Tom Foolery

• Longbeard
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2017, 02:37:19 PM »
Looks like either pattern will be highly effective on turkeys at 40yds.  So, easy choice for me, Longbeards at $2/shot vs. Hevi at almost $8/shot?

This is true.  For me I can kill 4 birds a year in TN, so that means I spend $40 in ammo, send in a $10 rebate which brings me back to $30 for 4 birds.  I'd spend $6 a bird to get the best performance I can get.  I can't see worrying about $2-$3 on the only piece of equipment you have that makes contact with what you are trying to kill. 

Lots of people say this, and it makes sense when you're talking about the moment of truth and the cost per turkey after you put in the up front cost of multiple boxes when patterning a new gun, any changes in chokes, optics, or during pre season shooting etc....it just adds up to more than $3 more a shell when you factor it all in there.

When switching from lead to Hevi shot I've never shot more than a few shells to get everything rezeroed.  I've never had to buy a new choke to get Hevi 6's or Hevi 7's to out pattern any lead load.  Maybe between myself and the 6-8 friends that have switched to hevi shot we've just got lucky?

If it's taking you multiple boxes of shells to zero your optics/sights you're doing something very wrong.

Offline WNCTracker

• Longbeard
Which pattern would yall go with
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2017, 04:58:27 PM »

When switching from lead to Hevi shot I've never shot more than a few shells to get everything rezeroed.  I've never had to buy a new choke to get Hevi 6's or Hevi 7's to out pattern any lead load.  Maybe between myself and the 6-8 friends that have switched to hevi shot we've just got lucky?

If it's taking you multiple boxes of shells to zero your optics/sights you're doing something very wrong.

multiple boxes of shells of Hevi is only 10 shots  :z-guntootsmiley:I like to know where my guns shoot. Not just at 40 yards but at 20 and 30. I shoot 2-3 rounds before I make the first adjustment and take the average POI.  Same after the adjustment and if needed a 3rd adjustment....GASP!  Every choke I've shot (only 7) has had different POI but I'm just a one man show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 05:27:53 PM by WNCTracker »

Offline Tom Foolery

• Longbeard
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2017, 07:23:22 PM »

multiple boxes of shells of Hevi is only 10 shots  :z-guntootsmiley:I like to know where my guns shoot. Not just at 40 yards but at 20 and 30. I shoot 2-3 rounds before I make the first adjustment and take the average POI.  Same after the adjustment and if needed a 3rd adjustment....GASP!  Every choke I've shot (only 7) has had different POI but I'm just a one man show.

Speaking for 12 gauges I only had the StarDot in my 835 and a Kicks .660 12 gauge 870 so I didn't spend much on chokes.  The Win HV loads have the exact same POI from both my guns as the H13 loads so I can practice more with them if need be.

I set my guns up by taking a shot with low brass @ 10yds and then adjusting the sights, then shooting another to make sure it's where I want it.  I then shoot a WIN HV @ 22yds and move the center where I want it.  I then load up my first H13 shell at 40yds.  I always shoot a 2nd round at 40yds even if my POI is dead on.  I then shoot a H13 at 22yds, don't know why 22yds but I do to be sure it's where it needs to be. 

I always buy 2 boxes of H13 or Fed HW each year so now I'm down to 7 shells for turkey season.  I can kill 4 birds so I still have 3 left over if need be, and I still have the Win HV to fall back on.

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2017, 07:29:21 PM »
Love the 6s and would hunt that pattern of 180 all day everyday

No doubt!
Those 2 pics you posted are not to far off from each other  on poi. So you don't have much adjustment to make.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 07:39:01 PM by owlhoot »

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 07:13:04 PM »
That is a nice pattern. I shoot LB and do very well with it. But I will be trying out the Hevi 7's this summer since I have read they are about equal to lead 5's. Plus I will be doing my own penetration tests. Too many wild claims flying around to do otherwis. Thanks for posting those patterns.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2017, 09:26:29 AM »
Hevi 7's

Offline snodswinger89

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2018, 09:15:00 AM »
Hevi 7s