OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Half Way There.  (Read 3816 times)

Offline cramerhunts

• The Boss Gobbler
Half Way There.
« on: March 29, 2017, 02:23:05 PM »
Early on in the year I gradually figured out that I had a unique opportunity to try and take a Single Season Grand Slam. With some hunts booked and other work trips that would put me in areas at the same time as season was open, I decided to go for it. After my recent trip to Texas I am half way there with two more to go.

Texas was a blast, the birds were fired up and hammering. I should of had two on the ground but just couldn't make it happen on the second bird.

The first afternoon I got to the ranch I set up on a fence line that several groups had been using to feed down on the way to their roost. I wasn't even settled in when a big tom snuck by me at 5 yards! I was completely caught off guard! I was kicking my self so hard I almost didn't hear the gobble behind me. I gave a few sequences on the pot and got tucked in tight with the ole 20. Not long after I had two gobblers coming from my left and two more coming from my right. I could see the biggest was on the right and just about ready to duck under the fence. Of course the video camera was on the birds coming from the left and I didn't dare move (sometimes you have to decide to film or hunt and I chose the latter). The big bird cleared the fence and met a face full of mag blends that ruined his day and made mine.

The one that snuck by me.

The two from the left.

My first Rio.

I have my home state of AZ for Merriam's and then Missouri for my Eastern for the second half of my journey.

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
Re: Half Way There.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 02:49:45 PM »
Early on in the year I gradually figured out that I had a unique opportunity to try and take a Single Season Grand Slam. With some hunts booked and other work trips that would put me in areas at the same time as season was open, I decided to go for it. After my recent trip to Texas I am half way there with two more to go.

Texas was a blast, the birds were fired up and hammering. I should of had two on the ground but just couldn't make it happen on the second bird.

The first afternoon I got to the ranch I set up on a fence line that several groups had been using to feed down on the way to their roost. I wasn't even settled in when a big tom snuck by me at 5 yards! I was completely caught off guard! I was kicking my self so hard I almost didn't hear the gobble behind me. I gave a few sequences on the pot and got tucked in tight with the ole 20. Not long after I had two gobblers coming from my left and two more coming from my right. I could see the biggest was on the right and just about ready to duck under the fence. Of course the video camera was on the birds coming from the left and I didn't dare move (sometimes you have to decide to film or hunt and I chose the latter). The big bird cleared the fence and met a face full of mag blends that ruined his day and made mine.

The one that snuck by me.

The two from the left.

My first Rio.

I have my home state of AZ for Merriam's and then Missouri for my Eastern for the second half of my journey.
Congrats on a great season so far and keep after them! Hope to finish my personal Slam in NE this May. My journey will be 14 months though.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 06:56:10 PM »
WhoooBuddy!

Congratulations on staying cool under pressure and showing those cowpokes who the new sheriff in town is!   :z-guntootsmiley: :smiley-char092:

Cheers  ;D

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline surehuntsalot

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Mendenhall,Mississippi
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 07:51:11 AM »
congrats on your Rio :icon_thumright:
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 02:43:33 PM »
That's awesome. Congrats on your Rio. Good luck getting the rest.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 09:53:16 PM »
Awesome, congrats!

Offline mason3toes

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 10:44:36 PM »
Nice I'm planning a trip to Texas next year for a couple of rios hopefully.