OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Turkey Seat or Cushion?  (Read 4140 times)

Offline old frank

• Georgia
Turkey Seat or Cushion?
« on: March 29, 2017, 08:37:58 AM »
As I sit here om my tactical tater cushion with my butt screaming for relief, I wonder how many of you carry a seat instead of a cushion.
I had a low chair made for the bottom of a canoe that was comfortable but something else to carry so I quit using it.
May look into a stool or seat.

Which do you recommend?

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Re: Turkey Seat or Cushion?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 08:43:06 AM »
I'm not a young guy. Lots of old injuries too but being I run n gun after a morning sit I'd be bothered carrying too much extra stuff so I use my vest cushion. If you had a pre set blind a chair may work or if you had a way to carry it easily. I haven't found a way that suits me
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 07:54:58 PM by Bowguy »

Offline WisTurk

• Southeast WI
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 09:35:11 AM »
I use a gobbler lounger type chair myself.  It's a bit more to carry than just using the cushion on my vest, but my lower back appreciates it, and I can set it anywhere even if there isn't a good tree to sit up against.

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 11:37:45 AM »
I started using a lounger chair last season (Browning Strutter). Yep, it's an extra 7 lbs. Yep, I climb mountains. Nope - I won't leave home without it!

https://www.amazon.com/Browning-Camping-8525014-Strutter-Folding/dp/B007PIRAYE/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490801743&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=browning+gobbler+lounger

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 11:47:18 AM »
No doubt but that a chair is more comfortable to sit in than a cushion...  But I do like to be mobile, and I feel that the chair is more of a pain to carry around and set up quickly.  And if I do have a long hike out after killing a bird, I have found the chair to be even more of a pain.

Granted, I cannot always choose a perfect location to sit (as far as comfort), but if I am going to be sitting a while (generally my initial morning set-up), I find a comfortable spot to sit, with a rock or fallen log to lay my gun over.

Having a rest for the gun, and being able to comfortable have my stuff layed out in front of me (i.e. calls, binoculars, etc. on the ground beside me as opposed to having to reach around and dig through my vest to get to them), has improved my comfort level dramatically.  Also having that rock or log that acts as a gun rest also obscures movement (especially while using friction calls), and just generally makes for a more relaxed hunt.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 11:48:33 AM »
Made my own lounger 20+ years ago and still hunting with it. It is my go to on Run & Gun hunts, I have a few different chairs for the blind. I also cut down on what I carry with me and ditched my vest for a hip pack a few years back.

MK M GOBL

Offline rockymtngobblers

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 03:01:33 PM »
I used one of those cushions sold in the hunting department for several years it was not good at all then I used nothing for years that was better than the cushion by far, a few years ago a friend  recommend a chair he had I think by Hunter Specialty it sat low and was very comfortable, I bought the first chair  I found it is a Mossy Oak Turkey Thug chair and I  love it, you can sit for ever and stay comfy. If I know I'm going to run and gun I hunt light and go without a chair otherwise I bring my comfy chair, I  highly recommend a low sitting chair !
Female hunter hunting the wild turkey for over 20 years.
Earn your gobbler, no Roost shooting.

Offline old frank

• Georgia
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 06:37:33 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts.

I am going to pick up a chair and will let the type of hunting dictate if I carry it or leave it in the truck.

Offline eddie234

• Longbeard
Turkey Seat or Cushion?
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 07:03:23 PM »
I love my HS strut seat, the little stool thing. Its lite weight and keeps you off the ground.

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 07:07:38 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts.

I am going to pick up a chair and will let the type of hunting dictate if I carry it or leave it in the truck.

I'm north of 50, and try to stay in shape (although not the best -lol) BUT, I really don't find the chair that inconvenient. My PA spots often require several miles of walking a day, and it seems it's all uphill - but that chair is soooo comfortable, it makes it all worth while. I really don't mind the extra baggage.

Good luck to you!

Offline richard black

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 08:25:56 PM »
I use the Deadringer hammock seat. Very lightweight, sets up quickly and you can easily pivot to shoot. I have found it to be very handy in the woods.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 08:26:22 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts.

x 2 , get you a chair..

Offline TRG3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 10:20:35 AM »
Thirty years ago when I first began turkey hunting, I carried a foam cushion that attached to my vest. For running and gunning, that worked fine since I was never on the ground more than 30 minutes before moving on. About a decade later, I moved to a portable metal framed stool with webbing laced across it. That greatly improved my durability to sit longer but not long enough to take advantage of late morning birds that would eventually come to where they heard a hen a couple of hours earlier. In the last decade, I've moved to what I call my "ground lounger", very similar to the Browning model noted in the post by SteelerFan. I can sit from daylight until noon in that thing and it's perfect for that mid-morning nap. My wife even fashioned a liner for it so that I can use it during the deer season when a little warmth is appreciated. Be sure to put a black plastic bag under it to keep off the ground moisture where your butt drags. Being in my 7th decade of life, a little woods comfort is appreciated!

Offline nfa1eab

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 08:51:28 PM »
Just picked up a Primos chair. Freekin $50 chair! But my old bones and bad knee are in love. I am working from a ground blind so lugging it is not an issue, although it is not heavy.
Spent most of my money on guns, women, and whiskey. The rest, I just wasted!

Offline RiverRoost

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 09:49:10 PM »
I carry a turkey thugs wal mart special chair with me but only in the afternoon when I suspect I'll be sitting for a few hours at a time. Other than that, in the mornings I am all tactical tatr coushin