OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Oak striker  (Read 2381 times)

Offline austinc

Oak striker
« on: March 28, 2017, 11:04:29 AM »
I've just recently gotten into making my own pot calls and made a couple decent ones so far. Anyways I've come into an abundance of oak slats that'd work out good for strikers and planned on using it for mostly practice at least. That got me to thinking that I've never seen an oak striker or heard of one and was just curious why that is. Thanks in advance!

Offline misfire

• Double Beard
    • Misfire Game Calls, custom duck and turkey calls
Re: Oak striker
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 03:23:57 PM »
I use white oak a lot for strikers, works well
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Offline WV TURKEY THUG

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 10:55:34 AM »
I don't go to the woods without my white oak striker. I think the reason why it doesn't get used much is because it is a boring wood to work with and it doesn't look as good as some of the other woods that are used. I could be wrong though. I just started turning strikers last year so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Offline austinc

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 11:14:04 AM »
I don't go to the woods without my white oak striker. I think the reason why it doesn't get used much is because it is a boring wood to work with and it doesn't look as good as some of the other woods that are used. I could be wrong though. I just started turning strikers last year so take what I say with a grain of salt.
I actually figured it was something like it was boring and non exotic lol I turned one out last night of white oak and it turned out better than I expected for my first attempt at making a striker

Online mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 01:59:39 PM »
I carry a heavy one & a light weight Oak, they make great strikers.  Mike

Offline Disney

• Poor old boy couldn't resist a Timber Tune cluck.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 12:30:47 AM »
Oak strikers have been around for a while. Check at Brookside if interested in buying them. The old-timer ( which I am called ) turkey hunters loved them. Most all of them carried a hickory striker and a slate. We always asked each other, " Do you have your hickory stick?"Many fine gobblers fell victim to the hickory stick & slate. Have fun turning them out.
Maker of Timber Tune Custom made pot calls. Fine domestic and beautiful exotic wood.
timbertunes126@gmail.com