OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Hunting load  (Read 14173 times)

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Hunting load
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 09:23:35 PM »
I like an even pattern. Don't count holes in circles. I pattern my shotgun for the most even pattern I can get at 25 and 35 yards. Then shoot out to 60 for effect. I am currently using LB 4's they reach out well. LB 5's are a good middle ground and the LB 6's for closer shots but they will easily kill at 40 and beyond. I am currently trying some Federal 6's in an attempt to open my patterns. I sometimes use factory chokes in close. I shoot a 26' barrel.

In regard to shooting close or at a distance I believe this is the hunters choice. The majority of my shots are under 35 but I have shot out to almost 60 with deadly results, especially out West. I also use open sites and have been shooting this shotgun over thirty years. Still have not got that perfect pattern. I rekon I'll just have to keep trying.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline Loose Wire

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2018, 02:07:16 PM »
I talk about how close I kill them.

MK M GOBL

Like this?  7 yards.  He was pissed and still coming, 2 more seconds and it would have been a knife fight!  Spring 2017

Offline Coroner01

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 06:10:27 PM »
New to the forum, have been turkey hunting here in Illinois for over 20 years.  Just purchased a Charles Daly online, put a Remington turkey choke on her. At 25 yards, she prefers the red Winchester turkey loads, over the black shells. The pattern was much thicker on target. I quit counting after 80 plus in the head and neck at 25 yards. God Bless, be safe and have fun. AL

Offline toypar

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2018, 11:09:59 AM »
I also like a even 20 inch circle of shot. I was shooting Winchester supreme #5 turkey shell great pattern. Now I am having problem. The Winchester superX #5 has to many holes with no shot and longboards #5 and #6 are to tight. 225 shot in a 10 inch circle at 40 yds. I mostly shoot at 40 yards and under. Any suggestions. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Kylongspur88

• Longbeard
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2019, 09:36:11 PM »
Well a long time ago I was using #4's and considered 90-100 evenly distributed was phenomenal. The numbers game is fun, but honestly how many folks harvest birds beyond 25 yards? I've learned to scale back when hunting thick timber with lots of overgrowth. That's when the ole LB 4's and StarDot comes back out.
so you would recommend #4's hunting in thick timber at close yardage?

I shoot 4's in timber. You sacrifice some pattern density for energy but not enough to make a difference at timber ranges.

For me as far as a hunting load even patterns are more important than big numbers. 90-100 pellets in a 10 inch circle is more than sufficient.

Offline ahfox16

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2019, 05:55:53 PM »
Well a long time ago I was using #4's and considered 90-100 evenly distributed was phenomenal. The numbers game is fun, but honestly how many folks harvest birds beyond 25 yards? I've learned to scale back when hunting thick timber with lots of overgrowth. That's when the ole LB 4's and StarDot comes back out.
so you would recommend #4's hunting in thick timber at close yardage?

I shoot 4's in timber. You sacrifice some pattern density for energy but not enough to make a difference at timber ranges.

Agree. The goal 10 years ago when folks really starting shooting patterns was to find a load that will put 100 his in a 10" circle at 40 yards.  When you got that you were done done done.  I had quite a few lead loads that did that, but most killed at both ends.  Now lots of 20 gauge shells do that.  To me its LongBeard and everything else.  If you can get a 20 gauge shell to give you 100 hits in the 10" circle go hunt.  Everything else is gravy.

PS.  I just checked on my Long Beard Number 6's out of my 20 gauge put 201 pellets in a 15' circle at 40 yards using a factory super full.  Flat out amazing.

For me as far as a hunting load even patterns are more important than big numbers. 90-100 pellets in a 10 inch circle is more than sufficient.

Offline Ozark

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2019, 08:29:19 AM »
A few pellets in a beer can , at the range you intend to shoot.  That was the old school way.
I like to see the full pattern myself.

Offline Twowithone

• Longbeard
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2019, 08:02:46 AM »
Im not a numbers person either. I want an even pattern out to 40yds. Looking at my past targets I drew a 10" circle and its well over 100 pellets easy. Like I said earlier even pattern and 3 pellets in the head neck vertabra he,s a dead Gobbler.   :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Offline rgref522

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2020, 09:39:26 PM »
like others said an even pattern is just as important as bb count. personally i like 100 bbs in a 10 inch at my furthest range i would shoot a bird.... with that being said before i started patterning with different chokes and finding the right load  i was lucky to have 50 bbs at my longest range in a 10 inch.  wish i would have tested patterns sooner in my life

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk