OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Hunting load  (Read 14178 times)

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
Hunting load
« on: March 28, 2017, 10:23:56 AM »
What is the definition for you of a good hunting load?  If your not a pellet hound, what would consider good numbers in a 10" circle turkey target at 40 yards?

Offline surehuntsalot

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Mendenhall,Mississippi
Re: Hunting load
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 12:26:32 PM »
I mainly look for a good overall even pattern, don't have to have 200 pellets in "the circle" to take a bird.
Some of my favorite loads don't put but 80-90 pellets in the 10" circle (20ga.), but the turkeys never know the difference.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Offline Daniel703

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 12:38:42 PM »
X2 I have a choke shell combo that can put over 200 in a 10 inch. But my favorite combo gives me between 90 and 110 and almost perfectly even.

Offline Philippe

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 01:31:49 PM »
Well a long time ago I was using #4's and considered 90-100 evenly distributed was phenomenal. The numbers game is fun, but honestly how many folks harvest birds beyond 25 yards? I've learned to scale back when hunting thick timber with lots of overgrowth. That's when the ole LB 4's and StarDot comes back out.

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 02:18:26 PM »
Well a long time ago I was using #4's and considered 90-100 evenly distributed was phenomenal. The numbers game is fun, but honestly how many folks harvest birds beyond 25 yards? I've learned to scale back when hunting thick timber with lots of overgrowth. That's when the ole LB 4's and StarDot comes back out.
so you would recommend #4's hunting in thick timber at close yardage?

Offline learn2hide

• Check out www.hunterslink.com "The Break TV" on f
    • HuntersLink and The Break
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 04:40:25 PM »
If you aren't hunting past 30 yards it makes very little difference what you use.  But if you are going to pattern your gun most guns are capable of 100-180 pellets in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards with the right choke and load, many are capable of much more.  Obviously 4's will have harder hitting capability but fewer pellets, 6's are the opposite, lots of pellets less energy but more than adequate.  Heavier than Lead almost always patterns better than standard lead shot but the LongBeard XR has really changed the game there, with great patterns and much less expensive, but they are also so tight that you better be certain of your aim and point of impact at 10, 15, 20 yards cause you wont' get much spread at all.  Good luck to you.... :z-guntootsmiley:
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

Offline Philippe

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 04:51:55 PM »
so you would recommend #4's hunting in thick timber at close yardage?

I would, but that just a personal preference.

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 11:20:16 AM »
Good middle ground between 4's and 6's

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 07:46:43 AM »
My go to standard. Kills roosters...
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline ahfox16

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 03:43:23 PM »
Any load that puts 100 hits of size 5 in a 10" circle at 40 yards is good all day long.  Before the days of HTL ammo. Winchester Supreme was go to load for sure.  Slayed many a Turkey with that load.  Now I shoot a 20 gauge wand Heavyweight 7s

Offline Cottonmouth

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 10:45:50 PM »
Personally,  I look at the 20" pattern at 40 to see the coverage.  Lots of things can happen at the time the trigger is pulled. Awkward shooting positions and the occasional bird doing the jelly neck head bob.

Offline Ontario_caller

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 08:00:07 PM »
My favourite loads put up between 110 to 130 hits in 10 evenly distributed with a good 20 inch spread
Consistently. This has just the right amount of wiggle room, workable close range patterns and If you do your part every bird you point and pull on is done.
There He IS !

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 10:17:41 AM »
Not a numbers guy, I look beyond the 10" circle out to 20" and I look for evenness of the pattern.  I'm lucky to get 85-90 in the 10 with what I shoot but it's what is to the left and right that's important to me.  What are they gonna walk into if they step left or right when I squeeze the trigger?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 10:22:26 AM by trkehunr93 »

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 01:16:17 PM »
Before I joined this forum I don't think I've ever counted holes in my life. I'd pattern guns by looking at the pattern and judging if it was suitable or not. I did though count fatal strikes in a turkey target. Think about something. 6-7" off can be a complete miss w some of today's loads yet it'd still be in a 10" circle.
Get the density on your target which is the actual turkey. Leave no large holes for escape and decent density on side of it for error and decide the load's effective range.

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 08:25:57 AM »
When I was first learning "turkey hunting" I was told all about patterning, loads, choke and I shot a lot of shells doing all this... As I learned about turkey hunting and things changed, I decided to build a dedicated turkey gun and had a lot of work done to it, the gun does pattern great and will easily kill a bird at the 40 yard mark. I have changed shells as I was shooting Federal HV 5's but since their introduction of the flight stopper wad it totally screwed up my pattern, I now shoot Winchester HV 5's, always liked the 5's as a load. For quite some time my hunts have changed and no longer play the long range game, don't even think of squeezing the trigger until his under 20 and closing in on 15... Biggest thing here is having a scope on my gun and sighted in Dead-On at 15 yards, all I need anymore.

Funny thing, most will talk about how far away they can shoot at a turkey, I talk about how close I kill them.

MK M GOBL