OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Give it to me straight  (Read 8685 times)

Online compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
Give it to me straight
« on: March 28, 2017, 12:21:23 AM »
Short clip of me on my favorite diaphragm. I can't get better if I don't know what needs improved so give me your blunt opinions please

https://youtu.be/s8eQ12fn1Bo

Online compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Give it to me straight
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 11:54:32 PM »
Must be perfect  :TooFunny:

Offline houagie

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 06:56:03 AM »
im not the best either but it sounds good to me.

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 01:03:49 PM »

LOL

It sounds good. Its a short sample, but I like the distinct separation of your cutts. Yelps were subtle.

Here is a great video of hen cutting & yelping. Watch her body as she calls - mouth open / close, tail flicking from contractions of air, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TZB_lUA2Ns

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 03:30:21 PM »
Don't take my comments as being critical, you sounded fine. I would think you will no problem in calling in a gobbler providing your set up is right.

It sounded a little different than the way I call, I like a lot more on the second note of the yelp. Doesn't mean I'm right it's just my style.  My style is based upon the hens I hear in southern MO and just a handful of counties.

I think hens are a lot like women. I love to hear women from MS with their accent.  Even though my wife is from southeast MO, she went to college in TN.  She had an accent that I just loved.  Maybe not for every guy but tripped my trigger!  I think it's the same with hens.  Just taylor your style to what you hear from your local hens.  Ever hear multiple hens but particular hen gets more gobbles than the other? That's what I try to do.

Bottom line your calling sounds fine but let the gobblers judge it and tweak it from there.  They are much better at knowing what they like than any hunter can be.

Online compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 04:24:07 PM »

LOL

It sounds good. Its a short sample, but I like the distinct separation of your cutts. Yelps were subtle.

Here is a great video of hen cutting & yelping. Watch her body as she calls - mouth open / close, tail flicking from contractions of air, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TZB_lUA2Ns

Great video. Thanks for the feedback. I'm a little paranoid about calling too loudly so maybe that's why the yelps are more subtle. Definitely needs work but I love practicing so any recommendations are much appreciated. Thanks man!

Online compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 04:36:14 PM »
Don't take my comments as being critical, you sounded fine. I would think you will no problem in calling in a gobbler providing your set up is right.

It sounded a little different than the way I call, I like a lot more on the second note of the yelp. Doesn't mean I'm right it's just my style.  My style is based upon the hens I hear in southern MO and just a handful of counties.

I think hens are a lot like women. I love to hear women from MS with their accent.  Even though my wife is from southeast MO, she went to college in TN.  She had an accent that I just loved.  Maybe not for every guy but tripped my trigger!  I think it's the same with hens.  Just taylor your style to what you hear from your local hens.  Ever hear multiple hens but particular hen gets more gobbles than the other? That's what I try to do.

Bottom line your calling sounds fine but let the gobblers judge it and tweak it from there.  They are much better at knowing what they like than any hunter can be.

Certainly no hard feelings here! I like the criticism because I was starting to feel like I knew what I was doing and my head was swelling if only just a shade.

Could you maybe send me a soundfile of how you like to sound so I know what you mean? Really that goes for anyone. I love listening to real hens and other callers.

Again, I really appreciate the feedback from you and everyone else. It's the only way to keep improving

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 04:07:57 PM »
you got more high end that most folks

Online compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 08:58:33 PM »
Gotcha. I'll work on getting into the back end more quickly. I appreciate the feedback sir!

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 09:37:10 AM »
listen to the rasp in that video, most people don't get that in thier calling. I can only do that w/ a cutter. Mike

Offline Brantley

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 02:37:37 PM »
Sounded good to me. Some one else already mentioned the high end. I like to use tight stretched ghost cuts or double reeded uncut top reed for the regular yelps. I've heard a bunch more hens doing that soft yelping than the excited. I use a cutter for everything else. Your calling sounded good. The cuts were sharp and didn't have that lip action to them. If the birds like it, that's all that matters! Good luck and happy hunting!
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep... just like my grandfather. Not screaming, like the people in his car.

Offline Prohunter3509

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 02:54:25 PM »
You get that ol boy feeling froggy he will be Cumming

Offline Brantley

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 03:42:55 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cgQyhH1Wnr0&feature=youtu.be
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=43oe6Uz8-hw

Here's a couple videos I made. One is putting a roosted bird to bed, the other is excited yelping. Your calling is great, I'm just including these because you asked for videos. I'm definitely not great and I'm not trying to give you pointers. Just something to compare to.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep... just like my grandfather. Not screaming, like the people in his car.

Offline mikejd

• Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 08:52:21 PM »
Sounds great. Are you recording yourself outside.

Offline justin_wv

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2021, 03:09:54 PM »
Sounds like a turkey to me. I would be proud to sound like that and thank goodness that all hens don't sound the same. I sound like a one toe'd crooked beak hen...