OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: A lousy start to this season  (Read 2879 times)

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
A lousy start to this season
« on: March 26, 2017, 04:01:47 PM »
After not getting drawn for a hunt in my own state for the 3rd time in 4 years, I packed up after St. Baldricks and headed north to my camp in SC. On the way up, the guy I lease from, who I also share a turkey only lease with, called me and told me that the guy who has the deer lease had a feeder running on the property so he could hog hunt. That made the property illegal to hunt. I was @#$%&!!!! furious!!! >:( >:( >:(  My friend reamed the guy's posterior and told him in the future to have his feeder empty and not be on the property after March 1st, or else risk losing the lease (since my friend works for a local land management company, and handles that hunting leases).
So after arriving, I headed over to the lease, disconnected the feeder battery and solar charger. Then I moved up the feeder motor so the broadcaster was into the dispensing cone so no more corn could come out. Then I duct taped the heck out of that feeder so that absolutely no corn could come out at all. Then I walked the roads on the lease, and found another feeder. I repeated the scenario on that feeder, rendering it inoperable. Unfortunately, that also made the lease unhuntable. >:( >:( >:(
After that, I headed over to my deer hunting properties to scout for turkeys. Unfortunately, the biggest property that had the most turkeys was also logged last year, making for tough turkey hunting. So I hunted my butt off for 5 days, only heard 2 gobbles, and saw one turkey, a hen, who was up on the roost at 10 o'clock in the morning. ??? I saw several gobblers and some hens, all in fields I didn't have permission to hunt. What a frustrating week.
Now I'm back home in FLA, with nowhere to hunt, and it will probably be a couple of weeks before I can go back. Not the start to my season I was hoping for. :-\ ::) >:(
On the bright side, things can only improve from here..........I hope!!!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 11:45:25 PM by RutnNStrutn »

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
Re: A lousy start to this season
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 08:44:44 PM »
I'm bummed out for ya Jim. You put in all the work to have something like that happen is frustrating!
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 12:30:51 AM »
Tell me about it Johnny!! >:(

Offline Mountainburd

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 04:27:04 AM »
Sorry about your luck Rut.  It sure can change an area for turkey from one year to the next when it's been logged.  Better luck the rest of season.  There's still plenty left.

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
A lousy start to this season
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 04:44:57 AM »
That sux. I've had a season or two like that before with near zero gobbler activity. Hopefully, it will pick up for you and the team.