OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Got one!  (Read 3853 times)

Offline WNCTracker

• Longbeard
Got one!
« on: March 26, 2017, 11:54:55 AM »
22 yards. Dropped stone dead with LB 6's. Young bird. 18.25 lbs. 7/16" Spurs.  6.75 beard. Right down to the wire before I had to leave. It's a good thing too, my wife has told everybody we will be bringing the wild turkey sausage on our upcoming trip Friday.   Pics and score to come when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wmn2

• The Boss Gobbler
Got one!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 12:47:46 PM »
Awesome! Congrats!

Offline Hunter1979

Got one!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 03:16:12 PM »
Awesome job!  Talk about waiting until the last minute!  Can't wait for the story and pics

Offline WNCTracker

• Longbeard
Got one!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 05:55:57 PM »
The story:
Hunted over 40 hours in 4.5 days. Only heard 1 gobble and called none to the gun. Heard none flydown and couldn't find a consistent roost. Had them run from my decoys and turn away from my calling. I had to get on the road today to get back to NC in time for plans so I was down to the wire. I actually decided to just go back 10 mins early. Feeling defeated, I drove back to the house. I decided to take a detour at the last minute to glass a 200 acre field. There were 2 gobblers and 1 hen and I liked my odds.  I took note of where they were headed and got a plan.  I drove all the way back around the farm and jogged down a logging road. Coming out about 200 yds in front of them. I was out of time. I belly crawled to the corner and popped in a hen and strutting Jake decoy and took cover behind some high grass. I got the binoculars on them and yelped 3 times. They heard me and stopped. They watched and then continued feeding. I yelped 6 or 7 times twice and again they looked at me and started moving more quickly my way. That was it. When they made eyes on the strutter decoy they really kicked it up and about 2 mins they were looking to fight. He dropped stone dead at 22 yards. Never moved. It was about 5 mins past the time I was going to quit. When I plucked him I could see he had about 50-75 pellets in his neck and unfortunately breast. I must have pulled low on him being that he was hunkered down I guess. Unfortunately a lot of the breast was not salvageable but I got enough to make a run of smoked spiced sage breakfast links!!!  Now, onto the downside of today.....

SOB!!!  All my pictures are gone. I moved them to a folder and removed from camera roll like I always do....then my phone shutoff and had to force restart it. And the whole folder is gone as well as the pictures. It seems like they're gone too...I googled it and it's apparently something that happens. Next time I'm going to text them to myself to be sure I've got them. The bird scored 40.5 so I'll be able to up that in NC anyways. But I had the best picture of my little girl holding the gobbler and that's one I wish I'd have forever.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 06:22:37 PM by WNCTracker »

Offline ILHUNTER

Re: Got one!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 11:32:08 AM »
Good job, Congrats on the hard hunting to get your bird, makes it worth while.  Sorry about loosing the photos, I'm sure you will up that score.

Offline wmn2

• The Boss Gobbler
Got one!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 01:14:15 PM »
Man sorry about the photos. I know that's what I would be most disappointed of as well. Great job, way to stick with it

Offline Gumby

• The Boss Gobbler
Got one!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 01:45:41 PM »
Congrats man

Offline Hunter1979

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 02:06:33 PM »
That's awesome about the bird, horrible about the pictures.  Did you try calling Apple?  Maybe they know a way??

Offline WNCTracker

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 02:16:26 PM »
That's awesome about the bird, horrible about the pictures.  Did you try calling Apple?  Maybe they know a way??

I asked a friend of mine who knows all things apple and he said that unless it was in my deleted pictures files I didn't have a chance...not there either. 

Offline llauber79

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 08:11:47 PM »
This was and awesome story to read. thank you for sharing and congrats.

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 09:53:54 PM »
Congrats