OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Hanks Padauk Aluminum conditioning?  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Coop1082

• The Boss Gobbler
Hanks Padauk Aluminum conditioning?
« on: March 24, 2017, 10:35:22 PM »
Recently asked for opinions for a swap up to my Twisted Sister and decided to go aluminum. Went with the padauk Hank's anodized  aluminum on Midwest turkey for the quick shipping since we are a week into the season here in lower Alabama, and left the wife a hint for a Lonzo acrylic aluminum over aluminum for the birthday  ;). That being said and being my first aluminum, how should I go about conditioning? I've lightly scuffed with scotchbrite, but it seemed to lose it's bite rather quick even with rain chalk on the striker tip. Any tips appreciated!
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Offline mwr

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Hanks Padauk Aluminum conditioning?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 10:59:07 PM »
Alcohol pad...

Offline Jbird22

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 11:00:03 PM »
I haven't conditioned mine. I prefer it slick and will use an alcohol pad when needed like MWR said.

Offline Coop1082

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 11:07:22 PM »
I'll give a alcohol pad a shot. Just went with the package directions initially. It came with 240 grit sandpaper and instructed to lightly sand the surface, but I don't like sandpaper on any surface, so I went with a somewhat worn maroon scorchbrite pad to try to be a little less abrasive on the anodized. Even light pressure wore lines in it pretty well.
CRUSADERS

[/img]

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 11:25:36 PM »
That's what scotch brite does. It seems to run out quick. Run that real fine sandpaper in one direction n it'll be a new call. Lowers the resale though

Offline Coop1082

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 11:36:26 PM »
I'll give the sandpaper it's run as well even though it makes me cringe slightly lol...I just ran a alcohol patch across it and let it dry, and I think it had adverse effects. Couldn't hardly get it to run at all. Took the scotchbrite back over it very lightly, and it ran smooth as a whistle for a minute or two until it lost its bite again.
CRUSADERS

[/img]