turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New to Trumpet's

Started by Blairj, March 20, 2017, 09:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blairj

I've never actually saw much about trumpet calls until I found this forum.  Just from my observation it seems as though they are up there for being desired as much as nice custom pot or box call.  Heck watching the classifieds it seems as though trumpet calls go faster then they arrive and hold their value quite well.  I know their sound is unique but can someone fill me in on the other reasons why these call are so sought after by many?  I have tried a wingbone call and didn't have much luck with it, granted it was the green plastic one form Primos.   Like many other calls sound quality is def better on a custom call but the ease of working the call is not so different.  Does this translate onto the trumpets as well?  Does a good call not only produce a higher quality sound but is that sound easier to produce?  Just trying to collect as much info before I take the dive.  Any recommendations on a good trumpet at a fair price?  Not wanting to jump in too hot in case it's not for me. 

Terry

A good call will definitely produce a better sound and be easier to play. I started because of the unique sound you get from a trumpet or wingbone, I wanted a different sound than everyone else. What I didnt expect was the allure of playing the most basic and oldest form of  turkey call. It's kind of hard to explain, but it adds to the whole experience.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

EZ

Quote from: Terry on March 20, 2017, 10:35:41 AM
A good call will definitely produce a better sound and be easier to play. I started because of the unique sound you get from a trumpet or wingbone, I wanted a different sound than everyone else. What I didnt expect was the allure of playing the most basic and oldest form of  turkey call. It's kind of hard to explain, but it adds to the whole experience.

You explained it pretty well.

Blairj

thanks for the input, much appreciated.  happen to have any recommendations on what call(s) to get going with? 

KentuckyHeadhunter

There are many to choose from but as a beginner and probably not wanting to spend a ton I would recommend Anthony Ellis, Brian Mero, Matt McClain, or Kenny Pedelahore (KP).  All make award winning quality horns.  Sorry if I left anyone out, there are many great trumpet makers around.   It takes patience and perseverance to learn to use one EFFECTIVELY.  Have fun with it.  That's the main way to avoid frustration.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Terry

PM sent