OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Barrel shortening  (Read 4927 times)

Offline DBuck90

Barrel shortening
« on: March 23, 2017, 01:28:26 PM »
whats the cons to shortening the barrel on a shotgun and having it threaded back for factory chokes
I'm wanting to shorten the barrel on a brand new shotgun from 26 inches down to 22
Some might think I'm crazy to want to cut down a 1000/1500 dollar shotgun but that's the barrel length I want with a vent rib in 3-1/2 mag now with all that being said what will it effect ?
Will I lose velocity and pattern density or can I still achieve great patterns and still be effective to 40 yards and possible beyond

Offline taylorjones20

• Longbeard
Re: Barrel shortening
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 02:10:33 PM »
Sometimes you can't have them shortened and still use the factory chokes.  A gunsmith will have to mic the barrel to see if there's enough material to thread it at the spot you are wanting.  I wouldn't have anything less than a 24" barrel personally, and I would prefer at least a 26" barrel.  Normally a lot easier to pattern... You will lose velocity and pattern density but you can normally still achieve good patterns with a short barrel by trying different chokes.
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Offline DBuck90

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 03:29:28 PM »
How much velocity we talking about like minor or significant? Can anyone tell me
What is the most efficient barrel length I have always been told 26 inches but could someone tell me why what makes that length more efficient than 22 or 24 and then even longer to 28

Offline taylorjones20

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 04:10:35 PM »
Per Nitro Companies website. 

"The modern turkey hunter sacrifices pattern performance and velocity for maneuverability of a short 21" barrel. A gun with a 26" barrel will give you higher velocity and better patterns. For every inch up to 26", you gain 7 1/2 to 15 feet per second in velocity, depending upon the gun. A 26" barrel will give you 10 to 15 percent better patterns than a short barrel with the same choke constriction"
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 04:49:28 PM »
Disregarding any effect on velocity or the ability to use the type of choke that your gun normally uses, one significant consideration is the quality of work done. It can be pretty easy to shorten some barrels, threading them concentrically be another matter however. Over the last few decades I've seen some barrels ruined and seen the frustration of trying to find a way to compensate for improperly threaded muzzles.

Many years ago, it was a pretty common practice to shorten barrels with fixed chokes and thread them so they could accept screw-in choke tubes. Today, we have so many choices of brands and barrel lengths, that the process is not as common and frankly, that's a good thing.

Lastly, we all know that whatever value a barrel has can be greatly reduced by alteration. That may not seem like a factor in the decision making process. Many of us like to think that we'll always like and want to keep a particular gun but unfortunately, that's not always the case. In the situation where we "fall out of love" with a gun, anything that reduces its value is just piling-on.

Just a few thoughts that I hope help some.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Offline DBuck90

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 07:21:43 PM »
Disregarding any effect on velocity or the ability to use the type of choke that your gun normally uses, one significant consideration is the quality of work done. It can be pretty easy to shorten some barrels, threading them concentrically be another matter however. Over the last few decades I've seen some barrels ruined and seen the frustration of trying to find a way to compensate for improperly threaded muzzles.

Many years ago, it was a pretty common practice to shorten barrels with fixed chokes and thread them so they could accept screw-in choke tubes. Today, we have so many choices of brands and barrel lengths, that the process is not as common and frankly, that's a good thing.

Lastly, we all know that whatever value a barrel has can be greatly reduced by alteration. That may not seem like a factor in the decision making process. Many of us like to think that we'll always like and want to keep a particular gun but unfortunately, that's not always the case. In the situation where we "fall out of love" with a gun, anything that reduces its value is just piling-on.

Just a few thoughts that I hope help some.

Thanks,
Clark
I agree do I really want to cut down the barrel of a 1500 dollar shotgun no but I don't know what other choice I have I have went as far as contacting Remington and benelli to see if they would custom me a shotgun and they both said no as for me I didn't understand how they could call themselves a custom shop yet not do custom work

Offline Farmboy27

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 08:28:47 PM »
Have you used a longer barrel (24"+) for turkey hunting before?  And if so, has it really been that much of a handicap?  I'm as aggressive of a hunter as anyone, I love to run and gun. But I never saw the advantage of a barrel shorter than 24". The sight plane, the balance, the lack of muzzle jump are all better with a longer barrel. To some degree, although probably negligible, velocity and pattern will suffer. Not trying to sway you or tell you how to spend your money. Just thinking that if you think that 2" of barrel length is really going to make the difference, you may be disappointed.

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 09:31:12 PM »
It can be cut down.  We cut them 129. Single shot all the way to 5000 O/U.     You have alot of folks around that can do it.  Now don't get to carried away with it because you may have to start over with chokes.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline stinkpickle

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • "Milk was a bad choice!"
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 09:55:46 PM »
I would definitely consider discussing it with this SumToy guy here ^^^.   ;)

CrustyRusty

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 10:06:59 PM »
Buy a mossberg 935. I believe they have a short barrel and are reasonably priced and leave your expensive gun alone. 

Offline DBuck90

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 02:50:19 AM »
It can be cut down.  We cut them 129. Single shot all the way to 5000 O/U.     You have alot of folks around that can do it.  Now don't get to carried away with it because you may have to start over with chokes.
what barrel length do you recommend ? For the best pattern/performance does it all dictate on the gun ? Does one gun company shoot better with a shorter barrel than another ?

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 06:30:23 AM »
You probably will not be able to use your factory chokes.   Velocity difference between 26 and 22 will be insignificant at 40 yards.  Pattern can go either way, sometimes the shorter barrel patterns better, sometimes the longer barrel does.  This varies depending on the gun and shell being used among other things.

Barrel length is more about personal preference and balance than anything.  Also sight plane to a lesser degree.  I would be more concerned with what choke options I would have and the quality of the work when considering cutting a barrel.

Offline DBuck90

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 07:04:58 AM »
Have you used a longer barrel (24"+) for turkey hunting before?  And if so, has it really been that much of a handicap?  I'm as aggressive of a hunter as anyone, I love to run and gun. But I never saw the advantage of a barrel shorter than 24". The sight plane, the balance, the lack of muzzle jump are all better with a longer barrel. To some degree, although probably negligible, velocity and pattern will suffer. Not trying to sway you or tell you how to spend your money. Just thinking that if you think that 2" of barrel length is really going to make the difference, you may be disappointed.
honestly no I haven't everything has always been 26 except for my Remington 870 turkey/predator it had a 20 inch barrel but I didn't like it nothing wrong with the gun it was just designed for an optic and I'm not a fan of an optic on my turkey gun so I sold it

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 08:18:11 AM »
what barrel length do you recommend ? For the best pattern/performance does it all dictate on the gun ? Does one gun company shoot better with a shorter barrel than another ?

I like 26 for a all around gun.  Now 22 to 24 is a good set up for a 12.  (loud and blast I dont like)   The 20ga can get buy little shorter because less powder less blast.   Now I have seen the 18 inch get as good as 30 inch.   We did a few swat gun that was 12 inch with buckshot chokes that was crazy loud and gave patterns that make you go I hope they not shoot at me with them.  :TooFunny:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 08:41:39 AM »
honestly no I haven't everything has always been 26 except for my Remington 870 turkey/predator it had a 20 inch barrel but I didn't like it nothing wrong with the gun it was just designed for an optic and I'm not a fan of an optic on my turkey gun so I sold it
Have you considered either a side by side or over & under shotgun. The overall length of those guns is much less than a pump or self-loader. So you could have a 26" barrel and still have a much shorter gun overall than even a short-barrelled pump of self-loader.
Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."