turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Barrel shortening

Started by DBuck90, March 23, 2017, 01:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I hate turkeys

Had Carlsons do mine several years, 18 inches gun shoots great. A purpose built gun
Would I have them cut down one of my A5 Brownings? No. Do I like they way it handles over my Browning? Yes
Buddies don't want it in a duck blind but its built to fire one shot a hunt, it can fire more just hope I don't need to.
Build your dream gun its only money and your dream.
"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith

decoykrvr

A shorter barrel equates to increased decibels to the shooters ears and anyone else in the immediate area. 
As a shooter for over 60 years, I can attest to the long term effects of exposure to gun fire and the associated hearing loss.  Hearing loss is a cumulative effect.

Ihuntoldschool

That was a good point about hearing loss.   If you plan to shoot THOUSANDS of rounds per year thru the shotgun you may not want to shorten it.

Longshanks

Would be worth looking into buying another barrel. If you choose to get rid of the gun at some point it will be fairly easy to sell the extra barrel. Gun will have multiple uses if you have two barrels as well.

decoykrvr

"Thousands of rounds per year" is a real misconception of what it takes to cause lasting ear/hearing damage.  Only a few, sharp, high decibel shocks can be the nexus for lasting hearing loss.  I had an Ithaca Mag-10  w/ a 22" barrel which was banned from the duck blind after a friend said that the side of his face was numbed after me firing a few rounds at waterfowl.  That was over 25 years ago, and my friend says repeatedly that he suffered permanent hearing loss in his right ear due to the excessive muzzle blast/shock.

allaboutshooting

I had a Model 29 S&W in .44 Magnum with a 6.25" barrel. I bought it to use for deer in Illinois when they first allowed handgun hunting. Those hunts were only allowed in January then and the first season was exceptionally cold with lots of snow and ice. I took it to the range one morning to sight-in just before the season but it was so cold that I got as close to the range office as possible. I was the only person there, so it was safe enough.

I put in plugs and also some decent muffs. I fired the revolver 4 times and it was right where it needed to be. That was enough, so I took off the muffs and removed the plugs. It was still just as quiet as it was with them on. I had no hearing. I immediately knew my mistake. I'd been next to a steel sided building that did not allow any of  the impulses from the muzzle of that very loud gun to escape.

It was at least 2 days before some hearing returned and that was after spending my time in a very silent place trying to allow the jangled nerves in my ears to return to some sort of normalcy. My hearing has never been the same. I have tinnitus (crickets, ringing, etc.) that never goes away. From that day, my hearing was damaged and there is no way to repair it. As I age, it becomes worse.

When I shoot at the range now, I wear good plugs and good muffs and I don't shoot close to buildings.

I only recount this story to illustrate how one foolish incident changed my hearing for the rest of my life, in the hopes that others will not do something equally foolish.

Oh, and I did sell that Model 29!

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

vabeardhunter

Quote from: decoykrvr on March 30, 2017, 06:23:15 PM
"Thousands of rounds per year" is a real misconception of what it takes to cause lasting ear/hearing damage.  Only a few, sharp, high decibel shocks can be the nexus for lasting hearing loss.  I had an Ithaca Mag-10  w/ a 22" barrel which was banned from the duck blind after a friend said that the side of his face was numbed after me firing a few rounds at waterfowl.  That was over 25 years ago, and my friend says repeatedly that he suffered permanent hearing loss in his right ear due to the excessive muzzle blast/shock.
X2 Not always the amount of shots, but the damage of a few.