turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Weatherby Sa-459 Setup Questions

Started by ncwoodsman, March 29, 2017, 09:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncwoodsman

I have purchased a new Weatherby SA-459 20 gauge that is due to arrive at the end of this week. To say I am excited would be an understatement. I haven't purchased a new shotgun in probably 10 to 15 years.  I didn't really expect to be purchasing this gun this year, but God is good and so is my wife.  :)

I know I am a bit behind the 8 ball since the season starts here in a couple of weeks. If anyone who has purchased one of these guns could give me some advice I would greatly appreciate it.

So far I have purchased a Carlson .575 choke and several boxes of the Federal HW#7s to start with. I may purchase the SumToy choke sometime in the near future based off of recommendations. I probably will also look into a reflex sight, but have never used one in the past.

I have read some threads in regards to deep cleaning the barrel, getting rid of the ghost ring sight and cycling some rounds through it of course. Who uses the standard ghost ring sight the gun comes with? Would they pass for temporary use? Would you bore sight the gun for quicker setup time?

For those of you who I have reached out to already via private messages, thank you!

FL-Boss

Yes, clean the entire gun real good.  Clean the barrel as normal...but not sure you are supposed to "deep clean" the barrel since it's chrome lined... Clark can better answer this.
Don't think the newer SA-459 come with a rear sight...just the front fiber.  It has the pic rail..in the box not installed.

If you think you want the Burris Fast Fire (or a reflex like it) I would do it now. Safe the cost of ammo and time sighting back in.  I just installed the Burris, wish I didn't wait so long.

Your all good on the choke and ammo selection.

ncwoodsman

Can I remove the rail and just use the front sight for now? Is this an option or would I need to order a reflex ASAP?

FL-Boss

Yes, I believe the rail comes in a bag not installed ( can't remember 100%) You can just use the front sight.
What I was saying is if you know 100% you want the reflex ... just do it now and safe the trouble and added ammo costs.

ncwoodsman

Ok, that makes perfect sense. Now I guess I have to find out what sight to purchase. I see you are running a Burris site.

FL-Boss

most guys are running a Burris Fast Fire III or Vortex Vemon.  Both seems real good. I think the Burris is a little cheaper.  You need to decided on the MOA you want ... 3 or 8 for the Burris option. I choose the 3moa and like it.  I think the Vortex may be a 6moa?

I got this - https://www.amazon.com/Burris-300234-Fastfire-Picatinny-Mount/dp/B007I9D8QE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1490799899&sr=8-2&keywords=burris+fastfire+iii

And this (the metal protector) https://www.amazon.com/Burris-Fastfire-Mnt-Picatinny-Prtctr/dp/B0016SCH10/ref=pd_sim_200_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0016SCH10&pd_rd_r=QEDP2GHESAMGTWWWCYKB&pd_rd_w=zvxys&pd_rd_wg=xD4cU&psc=1&refRID=QEDP2GHESAMGTWWWCYKB

The metal protector is optional...but I like having it. The basic sight also comes with a sun shade that protects some. Also, the sunshade can be used with the metal protector installed.

ncwoodsman

I think from what I have read the 3MOA is fine as long as the dot is bright enough, but I'm guessing the brightness can be adjusted.

I like the idea of the metal protector for running and gunning through the woods and not worrying about the sight getting beat up.

Thanks for your suggestions! I think I am all set now and just need to pick out a sight and get some patterning time in when she arrives.

FL-Boss

It has 3 manual brightness settings... plus "auto"  I actually like the Auto setting and think it get's the brightness right.

codym

Sounds like you are just about set up. I also have a FF3 on mine with the AD quick disconnect base mounted to the rail that came with the gun, Mine sits up higher than I like so I raised the comb a bit. I never shot mine with just the bead but I'm sure you could probably do fine with it. Last year I shot HW 7's out of the Carlson and killed 4 birds one a few yards past the limit on this site. This year I'm using sumtoy and TSS 9's, which gives me ridiculous numbers. As for cleaning I remember mine had quite a bit of packing grease all over the gun. Break it down and clean the bolt carrier group and the gas piston and magazine tube, I use the heavy load piston all the time. It won't cycle light bird loads but does fine with turkey loads. Good luck, I think you will love it, I do!

ncwoodsman

Thanks for the good feedback. What has been the consensus on the range limit for this little 20? Also, guess I need to do some research on how to break this one down. I've always shot Browning's in the past.

FL-Boss

it breaks down easy... look at Youtube - SA-08 will be the same. As for range - the same as any 12GA - especially if you are using HW loads.

ncwoodsman

Ok, sounds good. I will be using HW #7 so I should be good. I will take a look at the youtube videos for breakdown.

:thanks:

wvnut3

Congrats on your new gun. I love mine and i am sure you will as well. You can deep clean the barrel  (and is always a good idea) But just cannot polish it since it is chrome lined. I run a FF3 8moa on mine and have the carlson , Trulock and Sumtoy. Fed Heavyweight #7 3in with Sumtoy gives you on average between 160 -170 in 10" at 40 yds. The trulock will average 150 at 40yds and the carlson in mine came in under 140. In my honest opinion it is one of the best pure Turkey guns available. Goodluck to you .Lee

allaboutshooting

Congratulations on your new gun. As has been recommended, I would "deep clean" the bore, that's all the barrel will ever need. https://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/98772615-deep-cleaning-a-shotgun-barrel

As has also been recommended, I would disassemble your gun and clean any packing grease or excess oil. That will also allow you to become familiar with the gun and that can be very important.

The Federal Heavyweight #7s or the Hevi-13 shells with #7 shot should do an excellent job for you out to all reasonable ranges. Another surprising shell has been the 20 gauge Triple Beard. It's very forgiving and yet throws a very good core pattern.

I know you'll spend some time at the range and see what works best for you.

Again, congratulations and best of luck this season.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."