OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: The turkeys around here are staging a celebration  (Read 4296 times)

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
The turkeys around here are staging a celebration
« on: March 22, 2017, 09:25:30 PM »
Stay with me on this one.

Last Saturday was the first opportunity that I had to head out to the woods for this years turkey season. I drove to my spot and started walking down the trail and immediately knew that something was not right, I was getting out of breath way too quickly. I walked 40 yards and had to stop and catch my breath, I walked another 40 yards and had to stop and lean against a tree. I figured that I would just take my sweet time and mosey on down to where I heard a gobbling tom a few weeks ago to start my hunt. I couldn't make it that far. I just pulled up to a tree, set out a deke and settled in.

About an hour and a half later I called in the dogs, grabbed the deke and headed back to the vehicle, stopping every 40 yards to breath. The next day, at my dear wife's insistence, we went to a local medical clinic. They ran a few tests and told me to get to a hospital right away. We went to one of the hospitals in Jackson and was admitted immediately. Cutting to the chase, after an echo-cardiogram and a cardiac catheterization I was diagnosed with a partial arterial blockage at my heart. I am now on several different medications for to thin my blood, lower blood pressure and lower cholesterol. They have sent me home as of now and I will be making an appointment for therapy with an appointment in the future for either a pair of stents or heart bypass surgery.

This shortness of breath has been coming on over the past few months, but is simply getting worse, not any better. I thank God that I am married to a woman who recognized the symptoms as being life threatening and not just because I am getting up in years and out of shape.

I will continue to be your faithful captain, cheering and steering this incredible team to the end, but it presently appears that I will need to sit out the 2017 turkey season. I have always maintained that issues of life, work and family should always take top priority in our lives over this recreational activity that we all love so much. Brothers, it is now time for me to practice what I preach.

Hunt Safe, Have Fun, Kill Gobblers!

Your humble captain,
FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline surehuntsalot

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Mendenhall,Mississippi
Re: The turkeys around here are staging a celebration
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 10:01:29 PM »
Norman, I know exactly what you are going through.
After 3 heart attacks and 8 stents I know a good bit about it, praying for you and your family.
If you might have any questions or just want to talk, don't hesitate  to call.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 10:32:56 PM »
Dang Norm, that's scary. It's a good thing that you were able to get some attention. Get better brother.

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

Offline paintbrush

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 07:29:02 AM »
Norman, it's a good thing this was figured out before something way more serious happened. Wishing you a safe and speedy recovery from what ever the doctors decide to do for this down the road.

Offline cramerhunts

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 11:33:45 PM »
I am sorry to hear this but very happy you got in before it got worse. Praying for you!

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 06:49:19 PM »
Stay with me on this one.

Last Saturday was the first opportunity that I had to head out to the woods for this years turkey season. I drove to my spot and started walking down the trail and immediately knew that something was not right, I was getting out of breath way too quickly. I walked 40 yards and had to stop and catch my breath, I walked another 40 yards and had to stop and lean against a tree. I figured that I would just take my sweet time and mosey on down to where I heard a gobbling tom a few weeks ago to start my hunt. I couldn't make it that far. I just pulled up to a tree, set out a deke and settled in.

About an hour and a half later I called in the dogs, grabbed the deke and headed back to the vehicle, stopping every 40 yards to breath. The next day, at my dear wife's insistence, we went to a local medical clinic. They ran a few tests and told me to get to a hospital right away. We went to one of the hospitals in Jackson and was admitted immediately. Cutting to the chase, after an echo-cardiogram and a cardiac catheterization I was diagnosed with a partial arterial blockage at my heart. I am now on several different medications for to thin my blood, lower blood pressure and lower cholesterol. They have sent me home as of now and I will be making an appointment for therapy with an appointment in the future for either a pair of stents or heart bypass surgery.

This shortness of breath has been coming on over the past few months, but is simply getting worse, not any better. I thank God that I am married to a woman who recognized the symptoms as being life threatening and not just because I am getting up in years and out of shape.

I will continue to be your faithful captain, cheering and steering this incredible team to the end, but it presently appears that I will need to sit out the 2017 turkey season. I have always maintained that issues of life, work and family should always take top priority in our lives over this recreational activity that we all love so much. Brothers, it is now time for me to practice what I preach.

Hunt Safe, Have Fun, Kill Gobblers!

Your humble captain,
FullChoke
Brother, sorry I just read your post and even more sorry for your situation. Listen to your doctors, give yourself time to heal and rest and you'll be chasing those Thunder Chickens in no time. Meanwhile it's up to your teammates to pick up the reins and soldier on without our leader. Best wishes and prayers going up for you.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 12:22:29 AM »
Hate to hear the news. Prayers for you and your family.
Hopefully you'll feel good enough later on to at lease go listen to them. 

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
The turkeys around here are staging a celebration
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 04:24:46 PM »
Not on your team but wanted to send best wishes for a speedy recovery. My grandad had a triple bypass about 20 years ago and he is still going strong. I hope the same holds true for you. Get well and I hope you have many more seasons ahead of you.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 09:13:05 PM »
Dang Norman I I hate to hear this, you will be in my thoughts and prayers and also by my side on some hunts.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 09:27:55 PM »
Norman I know you will like this what are those road numbers again 503 and 502 what?

Offline old frank

• Georgia
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 06:41:36 PM »
Taking care of your health is the most important thing, turkeys can come later!

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 06:58:08 PM »
Norman I know you will like this what are those road numbers again 503 and 502 what?
:TooFunny: :toothy12: May as well, I can't get to them this year.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.