OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Primos monopod or bipod?  (Read 6042 times)

Offline Hunter1979

Primos monopod or bipod?
« on: March 22, 2017, 06:48:08 PM »
Hi,
I'm taking my nephew (12) and an adult hunter out for their first turkey hunts.  I'm thinking of getting either a Primos short Monopod or one of their bipods to help then steady their shots.  I think we will be hunting out of a ground blind or doing run and gun.  I don't think the monopod is tall enough to shoot out of most ground blinds, but if I get the tree stand attachment, it supposedly steadies it and adds a couple of inches to make it work. 

Just wondering if anyone has any experience or preference between the two?

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
Re: Primos monopod or bipod?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 07:01:56 PM »
I've never used one for turkeys, but have used them all for deer. IMO, monopods are basically useless, the wobble is still in effect and they are difficult to hold steady. Bipods are better but still not completely steady and to me harder to get "right' to shoot off of.

Last fall, I bought a Bog Pod tripod and that thing is like shooting off a bench. Easy to steady for the shot and rotates left and right without any issues.

So, my advice would be to look at a tripod. The one I bought has removable legs so it could be converted to a momopod or bipod.

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 09:51:10 PM »
I do a bunch of "kid" hunts every year and you are way better off with a tripod, beyond stability if they do need to take the gun off the pod for a shot, the tripod does not tip over, bang against something and make noise just as the bird is getting in range... A tripod with stand its ground. I have several between the Primos "short" tripod and Bog Pod tripods.

I also have a Caldwell Tree Pod that we modified that works awesome, but you need to plan to be using this it is a big but totally holds gun, allows pivot and can swing with out taking off pod.

MK M GOBL

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 09:30:43 PM »
I do a bunch of "kid" hunts every year and you are way better off with a tripod, beyond stability if they do need to take the gun off the pod for a shot, the tripod does not tip over, bang against something and make noise just as the bird is getting in range... A tripod with stand its ground. I have several between the Primos "short" tripod and Bog Pod tripods.

I also have a Caldwell Tree Pod that we modified that works awesome, but you need to plan to be using this it is a big but totally holds gun, allows pivot and can swing with out taking off pod.

MK M GOBL

All true I am sure. But don't knock the bipod. It is very light and maneuverable. One must be sure to get one high enough if blind hunting but I seldom have had an issue where I needed to take my shotgun off the bipod to shoot. I twists and bends enough to cover most angles. There are times when I am in a blind and hear a gobbler sound off several hundred yards away and must run quite a distance. That bipod is a god send when running. I also sit on the edge of fields when deer hunting using the same bipod with crossbow and rifle. Its very effective. Which ever pod you use I would suggest the new hunter have the opportunity to practice with it.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 10:21:42 PM »

MK M GOBL

All true I am sure. But don't knock the bipod. It is very light and maneuverable. One must be sure to get one high enough if blind hunting but I seldom have had an issue where I needed to take my shotgun off the bipod to shoot. I twists and bends enough to cover most angles. There are times when I am in a blind and hear a gobbler sound off several hundred yards away and must run quite a distance. That bipod is a god send when running. I also sit on the edge of fields when deer hunting using the same bipod with crossbow and rifle. Its very effective. Which ever pod you use I would suggest the new hunter have the opportunity to practice with it.

Yes, but you can use a tripod as a mono, bi or tri there are times I have done each of these. If you notice at the bottom of the Primos pod there is a small rubber "belt" binder that holds the legs together. Leave them all together... mono, separate one and hook the other 2 back together bi-pod and then of course you have a tri-pod. Lets you choose all three styles in one.

MK M GOBL

« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 10:32:03 PM by MK M GOBL »

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 11:06:53 PM »
You may laugh but one of the best gun rest i've used for a blind was one of those old Camcorder Tripod. Lot of the time you can pick these up for 5 -15 dollars from Goodwill or ebay...make you a gun holder for the top. Now i guess you could run and gun with it also. But i think it would just work better in a blind..i use mine for target shooting also...

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 11:21:51 PM »
Here's my Caldwell Treepod we modified to work in the blind. It is actually made to mount to a treestand but we welded up a plate with the spikes and step it into the ground. The thing is super solid, will swing from 9-2 while in the seat and tilts, pivots and holds the gun the whole time. Works great for the kids when having to hold on a bird for a long time coming in!

MK M GOBL

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 11:24:10 PM »
That looks great..Good job...

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 11:44:54 PM »

Thanks, have shown it to a lot of people at the store and have had it used for some folks who were in a chair that didn't have the ability to hold the gun but still wanted to hunt, another for a Wounded Warrior Hunt and a few others.

All about helping others reach their goals, comes with age, wisdom and passion for what I do.

MK M GOBL

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 11:57:13 PM »

Thanks, have shown it to a lot of people at the store and have had it used for some folks who were in a chair that didn't have the ability to hold the gun but still wanted to hunt, another for a Wounded Warrior Hunt and a few others.

All about helping others reach their goals, comes with age, wisdom and passion for what I do.

MK M GOBL
  Great post and i agree with you 100 percent on helping others ...I have the will and want to do what i did at age 35 but i have come to the conclusion just slow down with age and enjoy nature and life..

Offline Hunter1979

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 08:31:46 AM »
Here's my Caldwell Treepod we modified to work in the blind. It is actually made to mount to a treestand but we welded up a plate with the spikes and step it into the ground. The thing is super solid, will swing from 9-2 while in the seat and tilts, pivots and holds the gun the whole time. Works great for the kids when having to hold on a bird for a long time coming in!

MK M GOBL
That's the ultimate blind tool for anyone not able to hold on target for a while.  I know I take for granted just picking up the gun, aim, and shoot.  That looks like it gives everyone the chance. Nicely done!

I think you talked me into the tripod.  I believe I'm going to pick up the short tripod trigger stick from Primos.  Looks like it's the right height for ground and blind.

The only downside now is that the Gen3 are coming out soon, and I would rather have one of those.  Unfortunately, I called Primos and they said end of May.  I get they want to clear out the old stock for this turkey season, but it's frustrating as I'd rather have the improved model. 

Thanks for the advice guys!

Offline Strutr

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 09:43:46 AM »
I have a Harris bipod that attaches to the front sling swivel of the gun.  Have only used it for varmint hunting but am considering giving it a go on my turkey gun.  Anyone tried the Harris bipod in the turkey woods?

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 10:23:18 AM »
You may laugh but one of the best gun rest i've used for a blind was one of those old Camcorder Tripod. Lot of the time you can pick these up for 5 -15 dollars from Goodwill or ebay...make you a gun holder for the top. Now i guess you could run and gun with it also. But i think it would just work better in a blind..i use mine for target shooting also...
exactly.  cheap and light weight.  Used with the kids and attached one of those turkey knee rest
HS  strut I believe.  Lol that worked until I decided to overspend on the hunting ones for 100 bucks.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 02:20:23 PM »

MK M GOBL

Yes, but you can use a tripod as a mono, bi or tri there are times I have done each of these. If you notice at the bottom of the Primos pod there is a small rubber "belt" binder that holds the legs together. Leave them all together... mono, separate one and hook the other 2 back together bi-pod and then of course you have a tri-pod. Lets you choose all three styles in one.

MK M GOBL

Have been aware of the strap. The Bi pod is just super light and can be folded down. One always rides in the back of my vest. Just works really well for me, but each to his own.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 10:32:29 PM »
I have a Harris bipod that attaches to the front sling swivel of the gun.  Have only used it for varmint hunting but am considering giving it a go on my turkey gun.  Anyone tried the Harris bipod in the turkey woods?

Tried a Harris a couple years back. Could not use in a blind but might be okay setting up in the woods. Overall I found it awkward and heavy. Quickly ditched it for an aluminum folding bi pod. It did okay on tin cans but never pulled the trigger on a turkey with the Harris.