OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: How to stop my son from pulling his shot to the right  (Read 5650 times)

Offline turkeykiller

How to stop my son from pulling his shot to the right
« on: March 21, 2017, 08:01:11 PM »
I have a dead ringer beard buster sight on my sons 20 ga mossberg. I've try everything I've move the sight as far left as it will go. Had him hold left. He is 13 so he holds the gun with know problem. He's already shot two boxes of ammo through his new sumtoy choke in two days. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 08:15:39 PM by turkeykiller »

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
Re: How to stop my from pulling his shot to the right
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 08:17:15 PM »
Have you shot it on a rest?  Are you sure it is him? 

I had a Nova 12 gauge that I just gave away due to POI so far left I could not correct it. No choke or load mattered. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline turkeykiller

Re: How to stop my son from pulling his shot to the right
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 08:20:43 PM »
When I shot it was a little high but centered. The gun always has shot a little high with me I guess were it's so short

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 08:23:25 PM »
He's dominant eye n hand may not match. Here's another thing is he flinching? 13 years old shouldn't be shooting tons of turkey loads. You ougta be sighting it in n let him use bird loads to practice, maybe just very sparingly turkey loads to check him imo

Offline Farmboy27

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: How to stop my from pulling his shot to the right
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 08:28:30 PM »
Shoot the gun yourself to be sure that it's shooting straight. If so, than he's flinching to the right. (Most people consistently pull to the same direction). It's gonna be tough to overcome. Moving the sight to compensate for the flinch will do more harm than good. If you find out that he is indeed flinching, switch him to light target loads and save the hunting loads for hunting. Limit range time to a few shots at a time.  A lead sled can help by minimizing the felt recoil. And above all else be supportive. Good luck.

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 08:36:27 PM »
He's dominant eye n hand may not match. Here's another thing is he flinching? 13 years old shouldn't be shooting tons of turkey loads. You ougta be sighting it in n let him use bird loads to practice, maybe just very sparingly turkey loads to check him imo

First thing I thought, I have seen this a bunch with a lot of ladies too, they tend to be a righty with left eye dominant... I would check this first. Most of the time you will notice them with their head leaned way over on the stock trying to see.

If not that, may need to look into a scope for adjustment and it does help them hold on the birds neck right. Every turkey gun we have setup has a scope and works out great with the kids!!

MK M GOBL

Offline Kevin6Q

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 09:37:06 PM »
Sounds like eye dominance. Try blinding his left eye and see what happens.

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 09:56:10 PM »
How hard is the trigger pull? A light trigger will be much more accurate than a hard trigger or one that creeps. Both will lead to pulled shots

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 09:47:25 AM »
A right handed shooter that is left eye dominant, will usually shoot left.
Try the eye test to determine.
I would think flinching.
Watch him shoot looking closely at his face. My guess he is closing his eyes just before the shot.
Get some of the lightest loads your gun will shoot.
Put some padding between his shoulder and gun.
Good hearing protection is a must, as the bang can cause you to flinch as much as the recoil.
Practice at 20 yards with a rest until he is comfortable. Not more than about 10 shots max per outing.
Move to 30 yards and repeat a different day.
Next outing, a max of 2-3 shots with the load he is using at 30 yards.
 :fud: :OGani:
Too many shots in one outing will cause "recoil anticipation".
All this is after you have confirmed that no problems with the gun or sights.
Most important
Good sights and sight picture
Good rest
Good trigger pull
Good recoil padding
Good hearing protection
He will get there, just don't try and do it all in 1 or 2 outings.

Offline NFW

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 10:40:56 AM »
Yeah think a good trigger job such as on a rifle ifs a dedicated turkey gun, might help him not jerking the trigger causing to pull right.

Offline kjnengr

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 11:11:43 AM »
Set him up to shoot a target again.  However don't put a shell in the gun and don't let him see that you didn't put one in there.  Let him pull the trigger and you will know whether he is flinching or not.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 11:30:04 AM »
A right handed shooter that is left eye dominant, will usually shoot left.
Try the eye test to determine.
I would think flinching.
Watch him shoot looking closely at his face. My guess he is closing his eyes just before the shot.
Get some of the lightest loads your gun will shoot.
Put some padding between his shoulder and gun.
Good hearing protection is a must, as the bang can cause you to flinch as much as the recoil.
Practice at 20 yards with a rest until he is comfortable. Not more than about 10 shots max per outing.
Move to 30 yards and repeat a different day.
Next outing, a max of 2-3 shots with the load he is using at 30 yards.
 :fud: :OGani:
Too many shots in one outing will cause "recoil anticipation".
All this is after you have confirmed that no problems with the gun or sights.
Most important
Good sights and sight picture
Good rest
Good trigger pull
Good recoil padding
Good hearing protection
He will get there, just don't try and do it all in 1 or 2 outings.
The eye dominance thing quoted here is correct at the same distance. Closer he'd possibly be right (real close if iron sights used) further left. The head cant thing is also a giveaway. Hearing protection as in double inner and outer will help w flinch.
If he's lefty n shooting as far as op check his eye

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 12:11:52 PM »
Here are some tips on determining eye dominance.
http://www.wikihow.com/Determine-Your-Dominant-Eye

If it is inconclusive, he does not have a dominate eye. In the shooting class I teach, I have only seen this 2 times I believe. If that is the case, any open sights will be a nightmare. He could use an eye patch or shooting glasses with one eye blocked. That is what we had to do with the 2 non dominant eyed kids we had. It should not be as much of a problem with a scope, although correct eye relief would be more critical.

Offline DumpTruckTurkey

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 12:24:02 PM »
Yeah think a good trigger job such as on a rifle ifs a dedicated turkey gun, might help him not jerking the trigger causing to pull right.

This.

Hes jerking the trigger.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 12:26:17 PM »
Here are some tips on determining eye dominance.
http://www.wikihow.com/Determine-Your-Dominant-Eye

If it is inconclusive, he does not have a dominate eye. In the shooting class I teach, I have only seen this 2 times I believe. If that is the case, any open sights will be a nightmare. He could use an eye patch or shooting glasses with one eye blocked. That is what we had to do with the 2 non dominant eyed kids we had. It should not be as much of a problem with a scope, although correct eye relief would be more critical.
He may be cross eyed dominant. A scope is ideal. Squinting or partially blocking one eye to force dominance in the other is better than fully closing one.
In the classes I teach we go w a dominant hand first in that case. Try both sides of not