OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Help with bow shot placement

Started by sbertram, March 21, 2017, 12:12:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbertram

Hi I am going out with the cross bow for the first time this spring.
I have seen a ton of videos and web sites about shot placement.
I need advice on the broad side shot.
Please tell me where you would shot the bird broad side.
Thanks

beakbuster10

All of these still frames are from Hoyt's turkey shot placement video. It's the best to watch. With that said, head shots are the only way I go bow hunting. The size of the head is the same as the vitals. Shooting the head does away with the guess work of the changing position of vitals. Magnus bullheads are my choice for head lopping broadheads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fallhnt

Broadside...look at the leg as a reference, go up it and shoot at the upper third of the bird.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

sbertram

Thanks for the help guys

beakbuster10 a question for you. 

I do not have a Magnus bullheads.  I am using a Rage Hypodermic Crossbow 100 Grain 2 blade 2" Cutting Diameter Mechanical Broad Heads on my cross bow.

Do you think I did the head shot using the Rage broad it will take off the turkey head?

Thanks
Steve

turkeyhunter91

Quote from: sbertram on March 21, 2017, 07:55:31 PM
Thanks for the help guys

I do not have a Magnus bullheads.  I am using a Rage Hypodermic Crossbow 100 Grain 2 blade 2" Cutting Diameter Mechanical Broad Heads on my cross bow.

Do you think I did the head shot using the Rage broad it will take off the turkey head?

Thanks

Steve

a rage will come close to taking the head off. i never have cut 1 completely off but i shot 1 and there was only about 1/4 in left holding it on

beakbuster10

Quote from: sbertram on March 21, 2017, 07:55:31 PM
Thanks for the help guys

Thanks
Steve

If you hit the head square it definitely will. But if you miss a 1/4" one way or the other you'll have a really good chance of wounding the bird or missing all together. The Magnus are a 3 blade 3.75 inch cut and it's not an expandable, so you can miss hitting the head square and still kill the turkey no problem. They're made for the specific purpose of headshots and nothing else. If you're set on shooting the rages, I would stick to body shots.

sbertram

Hi beakbuster10 I will stay with body shots
Thanks

beakbuster10

Quote from: sbertram on March 22, 2017, 07:05:14 PM
Hi beakbuster10 I will stay with body shots
Thanks
Best of luck this spring! Bowhunting gobblers is a whole new, tougher, ball game, but the reward is all that much sweeter.

sbertram