OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Less Experienced Hunters  (Read 6435 times)

Offline Blairj

Re: Less Experienced Hunters
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 02:48:10 PM »
Good to see that even though some have gotten burned in the past they are still willing to help out others that are passionate about the sport as they are and still have some compassion and willingness to help.  We all have our "reservations" and I wouldn't fault anyone for being a certain selfish this time of year either.  It's hard to fit "me time" into that busy schedule as it is.  Seems pretty unanimous the private lands are held in a special reserve for only those select few closest to us, anyone with any understanding would understand and respect that.  These places are becoming more of a rarity each year.  All good points, although I think personally nothing could come close to first hand experience and learning from the real thing.  Reading and watching videos are great but only take someone so far.   

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 04:32:26 PM »
Good to see that even though some have gotten burned in the past they are still willing to help out others that are passionate about the sport as they are and still have some compassion and willingness to help.  We all have our "reservations" and I wouldn't fault anyone for being a certain selfish this time of year either.  It's hard to fit "me time" into that busy schedule as it is.  Seems pretty unanimous the private lands are held in a special reserve for only those select few closest to us, anyone with any understanding would understand and respect that.  These places are becoming more of a rarity each year.  All good points, although I think personally nothing could come close to first hand experience and learning from the real thing.  Reading and watching videos are great but only take someone so far.   
You are correct...  Tough to find time enough for myself to get out, much less someone else.  I generally try to get a good friend or relative in the field every so often though.

I was completely self-taught as far as turkey hunting.  However, I was hunting a couple of ranches that were absolutely loaded with birds, and still struggled for a year or so.

Learning from my own mistakes, and having a lot of birds to make mistakes on, did increase that learning curve though.

I do think you can get a solid foundation of skills and tactics from books and videos (especially today)...  But you cannot read about NOT whipping that head around as you hear an unexpected gobble on your left, only to have that head movement make the bird book.  No book or video is going to yell at you in the field to put the call away while the bird is on the roost excitedly gobbling at you from the limb...

Finding a place to turkey hunt and getting access takes a tremendous amount of work and effort.  Personally, I would be more likely to take someone on private land than on public...  Currently, it is only close friends or family that come to any of my spots...  Taking someone to public spots is a great way to get burned.

Best way to get someone else to show you the ropes is to get some access on some decent places to hunt.  It takes time and effort to do so, but it can be done.  Big difference between inviting a mentor to hunt on your spot, and inviting  yourself to hunt on someone else's spot.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline kjnengr

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 06:23:45 PM »
You are correct...  Tough to find time enough for myself to get out, much less someone else.  I generally try to get a good friend or relative in the field every so often though.

I was completely self-taught as far as turkey hunting.  However, I was hunting a couple of ranches that were absolutely loaded with birds, and still struggled for a year or so.

Learning from my own mistakes, and having a lot of birds to make mistakes on, did increase that learning curve though.

I do think you can get a solid foundation of skills and tactics from books and videos (especially today)...  But you cannot read about NOT whipping that head around as you hear an unexpected gobble on your left, only to have that head movement make the bird book.  No book or video is going to yell at you in the field to put the call away while the bird is on the roost excitedly gobbling at you from the limb...

Finding a place to turkey hunt and getting access takes a tremendous amount of work and effort.  Personally, I would be more likely to take someone on private land than on public...  Currently, it is only close friends or family that come to any of my spots...  Taking someone to public spots is a great way to get burned.

Best way to get someone else to show you the ropes is to get some access on some decent places to hunt.  It takes time and effort to do so, but it can be done.  Big difference between inviting a mentor to hunt on your spot, and inviting  yourself to hunt on someone else's spot.

Good points Marc.

I have been turkey hunting "technically" on and off for about 7 years now.  However, the extent of my experience has been on very limited trips to a few places.  I really have not had enough experiences to make me a decent hunter and still consider myself as a beginner.  I have put in the time and money to get good calls and get good enough to be able to hunt with them.  However, the extent of my hunting is a once a year guided trip with some coworkers and hunting turkeys on my deer lease which is hit and miss with regards to having birds on our place.  On a positive note, the two times that I did hear a gobbling bird, I was the primary reason that I did not come home with a bird and I was able to learn from both mistakes.  I have tried "hooking up" with a mentor but the few times that I was able to, we didn't hear any birds and no lessons were learned.  I don't live in an area that's known for turkey hunting so most of the people I know don't really turkey hunt. 

Each year, I get a little more serious and learn a little more but I am still a beginner.  I know no one is going to knock on my door and grab my hand, and I wouldn't expect them to, but this thread has my motivation pumped about getting more serious and putting the effort to find some public land no matter how pressured and just get out there and do it.  Thanks guys.

Offline sasquatch1

• The Boss Gobbler
Less Experienced Hunters
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 10:23:23 PM »
I'm usually willing to go with someone new at least once, if time permits.   A second hunt depends on how the first hunt went.  It doesn't depend on a kill or anything like that.   It's more of a safety first, then compatibility and how serious the person is about learning.   I'm all for goofing off and having a good time, but I'm also wanting to see a gobbler up close.

The one requirement I have is for the newer hunter is we hunt his land and his birds.   And once they have killed a bird I get a chance to carry a gun if I decide I'd like to shoot one on their place.
Any interest in teaching me on ms public land I hunt? I do alright as it is but would love to learn more from the master! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ilbucksndux

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2017, 06:05:06 PM »
I do enjoy taking a new guy. I try and take one new person at least once a year. I would prefer to take them to their spot and I hardly ever carry a gun in that situation, if we run across another one Ill just use his gun. Ill take a guy to a few of my public spots,but not all of them unless I really like him. MOST of the people I take are guys that duck or deer hunt , so they know the program. I really get a thrill seeing a first timer get close to one,and even better if he pulls the trigger.
Gary Bartlow

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2017, 07:06:22 PM »
Any interest in teaching me on ms public land I hunt? I do alright as it is but would love to learn more from the master! Haha

Master?  Not sure I'm up to that standard.  I'd have to pass on those MS public land birds.  I'm sure they are far tougher than any public land birds I've ever encountered in FL, GA, and AL. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline sasquatch1

• The Boss Gobbler
Less Experienced Hunters
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2017, 09:49:14 PM »

Master?  Not sure I'm up to that standard.  I'd have to pass on those MS public land birds.  I'm sure they are far tougher than any public land birds I've ever encountered in FL, GA, and AL.
I'm quite sure u could be dangerous to them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline born2hunt

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2017, 11:26:35 PM »
Like many of you guys, I eat sleep and breath turkey hunting year round, but the actual season is just too dang short. Way to short to be wasted on people that dont care enough about it to put forth the effort to learn on their own. To many just want to tag along and kill a bird so they can brag about it to their buddies. I am a VERY nice and generous fella but when it comes to my turkey season I am down right selfish (except with my kids) . I have buddies ask me all the time if I will go with them on their Quota hunts because they dont have a clue what to do, I just tell them its a busy time of year and we'll have to see how the season goes "or if I have a better spot to go that weekend ;D" . I had no one to teach me and have never had a bird called in for me. I read and studied every thing I could and was taught by the woods, so if they want it BAD enough they can do the same.

The new hunter who I'm helping to learn the ropes this year is actually a client of my company, who has brought business our way. He has read a lot about turkey hunting and watched every video he could get his eyes on, he just hasn't done it yet. Most of my clients don't hunt and business is all we have in common. To have a client who I like as a person, and who shares one of my passions is worth taking the time to help shorten his learning curve. 

I came up through the school of hard knocks myself and it was years & a lot of mistakes before I started figuring the turkey hunting game out better. I also had a little help along the way from reading, then my best friend, who always had access to quality places & who got to travel to take guided hunts at some premier locations (it helps that his father is a wealthy big game hunter).  His experience helped refine some of my tactics and we began hunting together regularly over the past 25 years. When we get together, turkeys die.  Due to work schedules, we don't get to hunt together as often as we'd like.  My other hunting & fishing buddy moved to Arkansas.  We have only managed to hunt together once in the past decade.

So, along with helping beak in a new turkey hunter, I'm also hoping to cultivate a friendship.  I'm not about to give up any of my best spots, but if I can help this guy along his turkey hunting journey, it could be a good for both of us. I want to see him kill his first and I want to be there when he calls in & kills his first on his own. 

Nobody was born knowing how to hunt turkeys and we all had to learn some of it from other members of the tribe, either through books, videos, websites, or mentors.  I'm choosing to help guide this guy along the path to get him started out right by sharing my experience in hopes of increasing his skill set. His success will be repayment enough for me. 

I completely understand where you're coming from.  I guess I just want to share the experience and test my instruction abilities on a willing student who will likely become a hunting buddy.  I hope this makes sense.

Jim

I totally understand where you are coming from.  I really enjoy taking  new hunter's but only if they truly show the passion.Everyone knows the ones that really could care less but will go just to go. That's what I don't have time for. And I  have a lot of good friends that fall in that category. They get the fever 2 weeks before season and want to be a turkey hunter.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

Offline High plains drifter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2017, 07:12:22 AM »
I take friends, and family once in a while. Got my nephew a huge gobbler, in a deep cut, when he was 15, on his first hunt.That was awesome. The bird, was bigger than he was.The main thing is, they have to respect the bird, be legal, and ethical, and have the right attitude.No hicks, no rednecks bragging about poaching.I won't take them to my best places, or even my second best places.I will take them to a place where I know there are birds. Compatibility is very important, and I won't take people who don't pass my ethics test.